• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GML I'm new to programming and need some help.

O

OriginalGrim

I'm trying to make a textbox appear when I get close to an NPC but when I get near it and press E it crashes

Here's the code I did I'm sure I screwed up, I just can't find out how.

if distance_to_object(obj_player) <= 5 {
if keyboard_check(ord("E")) instance_create_layer(100, 100, TextLayer, obj_textbox)

}

of Step Event0
for object obj_parent_NPC:

Variable obj_NPC_Bob.TextLayer(100021, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
at gml_Object_obj_parent_NPC_Step_0 (line 34) - if keyboard_check(ord("E")) instance_create_layer(100, 100, TextLayer, obj_textbox)
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Object_obj_parent_NPC_Step_0 (line 34)

I have the code attached to a parent NPC object so that this will aply to any NPC I make.

obscene

The error is saying that TextLayer does not exist. If this is the name of a layer you just need to put it in quotes, otherwise it thinks TextLayer is a variable.

O

OriginalGrim

The error is saying that TextLayer does not exist. If this is the name of a layer you just need to put it in quotes, otherwise it thinks TextLayer is a variable.
Thanks I can't believe the problem was so simple.