GML I'm new to programming and need some help.

Discussion in 'Programming' started by OriginalGrim, Dec 6, 2018.

1. OriginalGrim

OriginalGrim Member

I'm trying to make a textbox appear when I get close to an NPC but when I get near it and press E it crashes

Here's the code I did I'm sure I screwed up, I just can't find out how.

if distance_to_object(obj_player) <= 5 {
    if keyboard_check(ord("E")) instance_create_layer(100, 100, TextLayer, obj_textbox)

}

of Step Event0
    for object obj_parent_NPC:

Variable obj_NPC_Bob.TextLayer(100021, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
    at gml_Object_obj_parent_NPC_Step_0 (line 34) - if keyboard_check(ord("E")) instance_create_layer(100, 100, TextLayer, obj_textbox)
    ############################################################################################
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    stack frame is
    gml_Object_obj_parent_NPC_Step_0 (line 34)

I have the code attached to a parent NPC object so that this will aply to any NPC I make.

2. obscene

obscene Member

The error is saying that TextLayer does not exist. If this is the name of a layer you just need to put it in quotes, otherwise it thinks TextLayer is a variable.

3. OriginalGrim

OriginalGrim Member

Thanks I can't believe the problem was so simple.

obscene likes this.