• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

I'm making games less since GMS2 BETA Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RealityShifter

I started a project in GMS2, reached the the resource limits and with a sigh just closed the project tonight.

I absolutely love GMS2 and am getting used to it's quirks finally. However I'm finding it harder to work on my games as much as I did a few weeks ago despite having more free time recently.

Why? Well I want to use GMS2 from now on when working on a project but given the strict resource limits it's not a viable solution, so I have to use GMS1.4 but that doesn't feel like a viable solution either since I'll either have to finish the project in 1.4(while GMS2 has been released probably) or port it so GMS2.

Porting to GMS2 once released I can tell will be a huge daunting task given the huge code changes and how large and how many GM features I tend to use.

Can't wait for the full release! I'd be happy with it released in it's current state(it's that good!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Geoff Jones

Im with you on that one. That's why I'm only focusing on my graphics and other aspects of the game until 2.0 is fully released. What I want to do with my world map would have taken days with 1.4. I can do it in 45 mins with 2.0

R

RealityShifter

Cmon @RealityShifter - You know why this is already.

You even posted in another thread regarding this - https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/is-the-script-limit-really-necessary.12491/#post-82833 and it was well explained there too.

Why there is a need for another thread on this, I don't know.
More pressure for a sooner release ;)

But seriously, I'm not complaining about the limitations of the trial verison I just want the full version as soon as possible to be release.

A

Aura

Trying to put YoYo under pressure to release Studio 2 earlier, eh? Not going to happen. ^^'

Anyways, the Trial version is supposed to let you explore the IDE and functionality of Studio 2 by creating small prototypes. Developing entire projects is not what it is meant for. You have two sensible options: finish the project in 1.x and release it via the same or wait for the full release of Studio 2.

Hyomoto

I guess what I'd like to know is how many games you made before the beta started. I mean, was it like one a day or something? The beta has been running for a whole two weeks at most now, so unless you were churning games out before this I think statistically it's probably impossible for you to be making less games. I think you meant to say you've started more projects and had no interest in continuing them since the beta. I doubt that's GM2's fault, but at least it's closer to reality.

R

RealityShifter

I guess what I'd like to know is how many games you made before the beta started. I mean, was it like one a day or something? The beta has been running for a whole two weeks at most now, so unless you were churning games out before this I think statistically it's probably impossible for you to be making less games. I think you meant to say you've started more projects and had no interest in continuing them since the beta. I doubt that's GM2's fault, but at least it's closer to reality.
Crap your right, What I mean is I'm finding it harder to work on my projects in general since beta. As in hours spend in GMS.

R

RealityShifter

Trying to put YoYo under pressure to release Studio 2 earlier, eh? Not going to happen. ^^'

Anyways, the Trial version is supposed to let you explore the IDE and functionality of Studio 2 by creating small prototypes. Developing entire projects is not what it is meant for. You have two sensible options: finish the project in 1.x and release it via the same or wait for the full release of Studio 2.
Yep those are the options. I'm kinda in limbo though because the alternative it just barely out of reach. (GMS2 being released)

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Instead of working on a full project in GMS 2, prototype it in parts and put them together once GMS 2 goes public. This is also your time to plan and analyze your project as to what elements/tasks it entails. By the time you're done, GMS 2 could very well be ready for a full-featured beta.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Why there is a need for another thread on this, I don't know.
More pressure for a sooner release ;)
Instead of working on a full project in GMS 2, prototype it in parts and put them together once GMS 2 goes public. This is also your time to plan and analyze your project as to what elements/tasks it entails. By the time you're done, GMS 2 could very well be ready for a full-featured beta.
With that, I think that about sums up all that can be said about this topic... ;)

Jobo

GMC Elder
Porting to GMS2 once released I can tell will be a huge daunting task given the huge code changes and how large and how many GM features I tend to use.
Good news, everyone! GameMaker Studio 2 imports and upgrades your 1.4 project - so you likely won't have to do anything at all yourself. Import it and continue making the greatest game ever. Read the FAQ: http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/230330328-GameMaker-Studio-2-FAQ

Once I have a full license, will Studio 2 import my Studio 1.4 project? Will it run?

GameMaker Studio 2 will import GameMaker: Studio 1.4 projects just fine. For any obsolete functions we will generate a compatibility script automatically for you so we can hopefully get your project running straight away - this compatibility script can continue to be used or you can edit your project so the extra script is no longer needed.

Some older resources (e.g., backgrounds and especially the old way of using tiles) will require a bit of manual work to bring them into line with the new functionality.

If it's an older project you should ensure your project works correctly in 1.4.1763 or later before attempting to import into GameMaker Studio 2. For more information on importing legacy projects into GameMaker Studio 2, see here.

Status
Not open for further replies.