• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

I'm Going to Do it

Posho

I am about to upgrade to GameMaker: Studio 2 along with the Android and HTML5 export modules.
I have just a few questions before I do it. I have checked the official site and the forum and I haven't found anything about these. And if the answers were really there, I'm sorry, but the anxiety is killing me right now. This is quite a big buck for me.
  • Can marketplace extensions from GMS1.4x work on GMS2? I think the answer could be pretty obvious, but I got curious because when trying to download an extension for GMS1.4x early this week I was required to own a GMS2 licence to download it/save it to my library.
  • I saw on the GMS2 Trial Limitations article that SWF sprites and extensions are not available, this is just for the trial/free version, right?
  • Is it already possible to import projects from GMS1.4x to GMS2?
  • When do the Upgrade Path deals for GMS2 end?
Thank you kindly in advance.

I am about to upgrade to GameMaker: Studio 2 along with the Android and HTML5 export modules.
I have just a few questions before I do it. I have checked the official site and the forum and I haven't found anything about these. And if the answers were really there, I'm sorry, but the anxiety is killing me right now. This is quite a big buck for me.
  • Can marketplace extensions from GMS1.4x work on GMS2? I think the answer could be pretty obvious, but I got curious because when trying to download an extension for GMS1.4x early this week I was required to own a GMS2 licence to download it/save it to my library.
  • I saw on the GMS2 Trial Limitations article that SWF sprites and extensions are not available, this is just for the trial/free version, right?
  • Is it already possible to import projects from GMS1.4x to GMS2?
  • When do the Upgrade Path deals for GMS2 end?
Thank you kindly in advance.
Yes, you can import projects from 1.4 - 2. And since that was in the same list as SWF, that limitation should only apply to the trial version. (I don't personally use it, but I'm sure someone else will verify)
The upgrade path doesn't have a set end date yet, but it is reportedly good until GMS2 out of Beta at the very least. (Or so I've heard)

Extensions from 1.4 work as well, in my experience, though I'm not sure how it currently handles obsolete functions?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Can marketplace extensions from GMS1.4x work on GMS2? I think the answer could be pretty obvious, but I got curious because when trying to download an extension for GMS1.4x early this week I was required to own a GMS2 licence to download it/save it to my library.
Okay, so that could be one of two things: there was (is? Not sure if it's fixed but YYG are aware of it) bug in the Marketplace that made 1,4 assets show that message, OR the asset in question is only for 2.0. 1.4 extensions will load into 2.0, and some of them will work fine, but not all. Those that use views or some of the d3d or draw_ functions may need fixing before they can be used (a lot has changed, see the link given below).

I saw on the GMS2 Trial Limitations article that SWF sprites and extensions are not available, this is just for the trial/free version, right?
Yes. :)

Is it already possible to import projects from GMS1.4x to GMS2?
Yes, definitely! See this article before you do though: http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/231719468-Porting-A-GMS-1-4-Game-To-GameMaker-Studio-2

When do the Upgrade Path deals for GMS2 end?
Nobody can tell you that. YYG will let us know when it's going to happen, probably a week or so before it does.

Posho

Thanks everyone. I'm awfully relieved to know I won't be having any blocks when using GMS2.