• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows idyll - the MMO on an incredibly tiny island

brian

logo.png

The first version of idyll has been released, come check out the island!
Download Here

a massive multiplayer online game set on an exceedingly small island

build and break alone or with hundreds of friends

drop in at any time - there are no user accounts here

resources you can use on the island are persistent and finite, meaning you must grief old creations to build something new

I've been working on idyll for the last few weeks to give a new spin to MMORPG games. Instead of having a vastly open world, what if everyone was packed like sardines into a small map with a limited number of resources available in the world? I've been lovingly calling it "Griefing: The Game" and it's been a blast to develop so far.

Slyddar

Fun little game, enjoyed playing around on the island. Thanks for sharing, will monitor to see where you take it. Still would like to use wood and stones to make a billy cart and drive around the island though :)

brian

I haven't played it yet (just downloaded) but I love the look and the concept is very interesting, I'll give it a try!
Thanks for downloading it! I'm not sure if you've gotten a chance to check it out yet - there's still a ton to add and work on, but it's a start! Definitely let me know what you'd like to see added.
I'm already working on a ton of stuff with it - thankfully I like lists!

Fun little game, enjoyed playing around on the island. Thanks for sharing, will monitor to see where you take it. Still would like to use wood and stones to make a billy cart and drive around the island though :)
Haha, maybe you can have a little cart... as a treat. Thanks for checking it out!

brian

Just released a new update for idyll which addresses the following:

Additions
  • Signs - a new buildable item type, allowing you to leave messages for other players... until someone takes the sign down!
  • Added Shift + Click to continue building any item that you're placing, rather than dropping out of build-mode.

Changes
  • Redefined level geometry to provide a larger buildable area, specifically towards the edges of the map.
  • Refined movement code to make walking around feel much more fluid
  • Changed depth perception for single stone and wood objects
  • Fixed numerous bugs
  • Improved performance of the game significantly
Also, every single online game should have signs!