• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Ideas for an mini rpg top down view.

H

hisoka_2020

I am a nerd for rpg games, which take an small amount of skill but a lot of brains to pass.
Whenever I started a new project, I started working on an rpg from a top down view.

I'll get to the point now. I, someone who created dozens of rpg games, is stuck on the feeling that he doesn't want to create the same kind of enemy twice.
So here I am, don't know what type of enemy should I add next.

I've created many enemies over the years and I strive to add interest to each and every one that I create.
So, I seek your help, and I ask of you, please lend me your knowledge and support me get through this conundrum.

Here are a few things that I've already done too much of:
Wizards casting blocking spells, healing spells, trap spells, and attack spells.
Long range shooters, For example, an enemy which shoots from afar really fast and tiny bullets.

I would like to focus on my theme that I set for myself to challenge myself, the theme is science fiction, because I always run back to the place that I'm better at, which is more medieval.

I really appreciate any and all comments and replies that will help me pass this wall of not knowing what to do next.
P.S. I'd like if you would to give me not just enemies suggestions, but also suggestions to improve my overall experience making games.
Thanks!

Strmy

Do some Ghangeling / Metamorf - Changes / transforms into other enemies and copies their attacks.
The transform could be depend on number of enemies on the map. So when the player reduces "shooting" enemies he transforms into mele atack or when there are no enemies hes just plain blob doing nothing.
Or it can change base on distance of the closest NPC.. Eventualy transforming into "player" npc

H

hisoka_2020

Do some Ghangeling / Metamorf - Changes / transforms into other enemies and copies their attacks.
The transform could be depend on number of enemies on the map. So when the player reduces "shooting" enemies he transforms into mele atack or when there are no enemies hes just plain blob doing nothing.
An interesting idea indeed!
I'll work on that to see if the concept fits this game style!
Thanks!

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Make most enemies humanoid sentient creatures (e.g. Imperial soliders which are dispatched to kill your rebel gang, bounty hunters, city guards, bandits), and then add a system which allows you to give them equipment on a per-encounter basis (or list possible random-encounter loadouts that are picked at random). Each enemy has the same stats each time you encounter them, but their usable skills are based off of their equipment... even the same enemy can feel completely different with a different loadout! (Make sure the equipment is visible on their sprites in battle so the player can tell what to expect)
  • Machine gun wielders can attack your entire party with rapidfire bursts, but since they use both hands to hold their weapon, they can't do anything else. Other two-handed weapons include grenade launchers and hunting rifles which can target individual body parts, causing damage that prevents you from using skills.
  • Blaster wielders are more into firing single shots, and usually combines their gun with a plasma shield, a field medkit, a scanner that lets them debuff you, or perhaps a warbanner that boosts morale.
  • Melee wielders can only attack the front line, but they're faster and can have a lot of variety in their loadouts. More common on savage planets, but occasionally you'll run into an Argocian Hyperknight that uses a laser sword.

Each enemy has the same stats each time you encounter them, but their usable skills are based off of their equipment... even the same enemy can feel completely different with a different loadout!
Literally what I'm doing with npc characters in my game. So... good idea!

I'm finding that its easier to create enemies/monsters for random encounters when you have a good understanding of a) the details of the area you're putting these enemies in, and b) what's going on in the story at that point in the game. This may sound like common sense, but I was in pretty much the same boat as you until I started really examining questions like "What kind of creatures would exist in this environment?" and "What kind of abilities would these creatures use to defend themselves?" You don't always come up with something terribly original, but sometimes you do, or sometimes you end up combining unoriginal ideas in an original way. When it comes to things like monsters, you have to keep in mind that they're basically just animals that are supposed to live in the world you've created (unless they've been created in a lab/invading from another world, etc.) and would have natural abilities/physical features that would allow them to thrive in that environment.

As for humanoid enemies, you need to factor in how they relate to the game's story/world. Are they an invading force set to wipe out mankind? Then they'd probably use physical attacks without a lot of nuance, looking to do as much damage as possible. If they're bounty hunters sent to track the player, who has escaped from enemy custody, then they may use status-inflicting attacks to incapacitate a threat that they're not meant to eliminate outright.

TL;DR: Enemy abilities should depend on context. Hope that helps!

pixeltroid

Just re-imagine all your medieval enemies as sci-fi characters.

Change the wizard into an cybernetically augmented human with high technology. So blocking spells become force fields, attack spells become photon blasts... and so on.

Change the evil black knight into an elite shocktrooper. Instead of a longsword, he uses a light sabre. Instead of bows and arrows, he uses a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

Last edited:
I think would be cool. You can turn any object come to life and become an enemy.
A rock. Tree. Animal. Building. Pretty much anything g you could think of.
I like that idea too. A mini game about a poltergeist in a haunted house. Everything can become an enemy and you wouldn't know until it begun moving towards you.