• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE IDE white screen/unresponsive on launch.

J

jmakegames

Hey all,

Ever since updating to the latest version of GMS2 (2.0.6.146), occasionally when I launch the IDE, it will become unresponsive for about half a minute and just sit at a white screen (inside the GMS2 window). I get this white screen every launch but usually it's only for a bout two or three seconds so I'm assuming it's part of the normal boot process. However, obviously something is getting stuck processing and making the application unresponsive at times.

Anyone else experiencing this or know of a fix?

Cheers!

rIKmAN

Hey all,

Ever since updating to the latest version of GMS2 (2.0.6.146), occasionally when I launch the IDE, it will become unresponsive for about half a minute and just sit at a white screen (inside the GMS2 window). I get this white screen every launch but usually it's only for a bout two or three seconds so I'm assuming it's part of the normal boot process. However, obviously something is getting stuck processing and making the application unresponsive at times.

Anyone else experiencing this or know of a fix?

Cheers!
I started getting this intermittently with the last update too, and just like you it shows for anywhere between 2-10secs and then loads as normal.

Tonight it got completely stuck on it for the first time, but closing GMS2 from the Task Manager and relaunching it then loaded with no white screen at all.

Windows 10 64bit
Nvidia GTX 1060

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
This is in the known issues list. If you leave it for (up to) a min, then it should carry on. There are networking issue that we are trying to track down.

J

jmakegames

Thanks for the heads up, Mike. You are correct, it will eventually respond within that time. Hope you guys can get it sorted soon!

Cheers.

I have this problem too and have to force a task bar shutdown, then restart.

Another problem is when I run with room width at 2048 pixels the output is full white. (see attached img)
This was discovered when following the tutorials.
Anyone facing this issue? How do I fix this please.

Attachments

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
If it's one of our tutorials, I suspect you've not setup the view properly.

However, a room+window should scale to fit the monitor, so you can file this (along with a little example) if you like.

K

Kenjiro

Hibba dibba da dibba do.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's one of our tutorials, I suspect you've not setup the view properly.

However, a room+window should scale to fit the monitor, so you can file this (along with a little example) if you like.
This issue is with view NOT enabled so it cant be something with view settings.
The example from the tutorial also shows without a view enabled, so i tried it on my comp but i got a white screen instead.
Attached are the tutorial screen shots showing rm size 2048 x 768 view disabled anda positive output in run mode, unlike the white screen I am getting.
Tutorial here, time 5.38 to 5.43 shows no white screen.

Any help please?

2017-06-16-2_LI.png 2017-06-16-(2).png
2017-06-16.png

Last edited:

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
This issue is with view NOT enabled so it cant be something with view settings.
That was my point. There SHOULD be one. You'll never fit 2048 pixel wide room on a standard monitor, you expect this to scroll - as do the tutorials, so you've probably missed that step.

G

blitzbasement is talking about the portion of the video right before Shaun explains why views would make the game better and demonstrates how to enable them, so, no, the tutorial isn't using views at that moment. The screen shouldn't be white. I recommend just pushing on to the next bit of the video where you enable views; it's probably not worth debugging at this point, since you will never, ever, ever NOT use views in any work.

blitzbasement is talking about the portion of the video right before Shaun explains why views would make the game better and demonstrates how to enable them, so, no, the tutorial isn't using views at that moment. The screen shouldn't be white. I recommend just pushing on to the next bit of the video where you enable views; it's probably not worth debugging at this point, since you will never, ever, ever NOT use views in any work.
Hi Justice,
Been a user with previous GM versions, I was doing the tutorials to familiarize with the new interface.
You have got the point I was trying to address. It has nothing to do with views.

This latest version of GM2 seems to have a graphics glitch, ie unable to render a game window of any size as defined in the room properties.
Obviously, 2048 or any large width will not logically fit into a standard screen, GM2 is supposed to scale and render properly to fit the host screen, instead of rendering a blank white screen.

All previous versions of GM scaled and rendered perfectly.
I ttried this out on GM 1.4, GM 8.1, GM7 and GM6. None of them have this issue.

Could there be a bug in the graphics code that needs to be addressed.
It might not be important now but my concern is that further down the line it may cause undesired, unexplained effects.

Anyone else on GM2 facing this issue with the latest version (IDE v2.0.6.146 Runtime v2.0.6.96) ?
Was also wondering if any other settings in preference or main or window that needs to be tweaked.

Amasuri

Sorry for necro posting, but on newest LTS version (2022.0.1.31) this bug still persists.
On launch (first launch ever, pre-login) the screen is always white after several minutes, and nothing helps (reinstalling, closing the app, waiting).

I fixed the problem for myself and I'm posting in case if it helps someone.

Basically I have a old-ish laptop from 2017 with two video cards, one is the integrated Intel Graphics 630 and the other one is Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050.
Outside of Game maker these are completely functional.
Windows (rightfully so) defaults to the Nvidia video card and that appears to cause issues (you can't do anything at all to get past the white screen).
Meanwhile if you switch to Intel Graphics (open Settings ->type "graphics" in search box -> select "Graphics settings", then press "Browse" and select Game maker .exe file, press "Options" on it after selecting and choose the video card)
It appears to work fine, you can at least log in, install the environment and do things.

Not sure why is that, it appears to be some sort of driver / compatibility issue? I have the latest available drivers installed. I also posted the video card in case it helps with the issue.

Cheers.