• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

IDE suggestion: auto-reorganize objects in workspace when one is closed

G

My first suggestion would be allowing individual events to be opened from the resource tree (opening into a full-screen code window) and allowing events to be created from the resource tree--basically allowing the workspace to be relegated to the object's edit box for assigning a sprite, etc. And then I'd like an option to replace the open box when I want to edit a new one. So, allow a user to eliminate the workspace; it honestly feels like a DnD thing.

Buuut, since we don't have that, I recommend automatically reorganizing / condensing the objects that are open. I.e., I open objects A, B, and C. I close object B. The big space left by B should disappear, and objects A and C should become vertically adjacent to each other.

Current:
A

C

New:
A
C

Currently, once I have more than a couple objects open, it becomes difficult to work, and I end up just "re-opening" everything from the resource tree or searching through Ctrl-T. This might help.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Bumping this because I'm going to submit as a feature request and would like to link here and gather likes to show interest. The suggestions are:
(1) Allow expanding an object to show events in the resource tree.
(2) Allow create/delete events from the resource tree.
(3) Condense objects in the workspace when one is closed to eliminate big spaces between open objects, or allow an option to do this.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I can tell you now that 1 + 2 aren't going to happen. The resource tree is just that: a resource tree. Events are not resources and the sheers number of them that you can have per object would make them unwieldy in a tree format anyway. I believe fullscreen objects/events are on the roadmap for the future though.

3 is also problematic as it assumes that all things in a workspace are placed along the vertical axis in one big column. That is not the case though, and I (for example) create "groups" of objects and other resources with things side by side and above and below. If I remove something from the center of such a group, how should the IDE collapse the space? No, this seems like it would be a bad idea too...

G

Oh, well. Just bundle it in with the unicorn that Mike promised us in the other thread.

For anyone else with a similar work style to mine, note that you can force open all events from an object on double-click; the option is in Preferences under Resource Tree, "Open all object events when double clicking on an object resource node," and you might also need to check one or more of the "full screen" boxes in Text Editors. It's not so bad this way.

Edit: I do appreciate the reply.

sylvain_l

Currently, once I have more than a couple objects open, it becomes difficult to work, and I end up just "re-opening" everything from the resource tree or searching through Ctrl-T. This might help.
perhaps because that's the way it meant to be done ?^^

At start I hade the same idea that an autoorganize (like for windows icons on the desktop) would have be nice; but after few weeks of use I realized that even when I have only 3 or 4 ressources opened I use the alt-T or ressources tree, instead of scrolling the workspace manually. It's easier, no need to remember by heart the position of the 1001 ressources opened in the workspace, and faster!

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
This has come up before internally, and we're not actually against it. it would take some time to do it right, and I'm not "sure" it would feel the way you expect. There are issues like when you increase a window size, then reduce it, does everything under slide up at that point as well, or just when you close a window - stuff like this is why it's not currently there. But it's not something we'll never do - just not now.

feel free to file it.