• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE IDE plugin API - Availability?

TheMagician

I tried to hold back but after some recent threads about custom UI elements I simply have to ask this:

Do you plan to release the IDE plugin API sometime during the Beta or is this something that would be made available post release, if at all?

It sounds incredibly powerful and I would love to start playing around with it.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
While plugins are on the cards, it'll be a loooooong time before they appear. As you can imagine, the UI, resource manager, rendering API, Threaded File APIs,...blah blah blah... are all pretty massive, and there is a HUGE amount of documentation needed before we can even think about do it.

When you get right down to it, everything you see in the IDE is a plugin, very little is in the "core" or built-in. So yes, once it is released, you should be able to do just about anything....

But again............Looooooooooooooooooooooooooong way off.

TheMagician

;) How about letting some Lemmings walk into certain death?

Since the editor plugins can be so versatile and powerful, however, I think you shouldn't push them too far off. Interface customization could be a big selling point for GMS 2. People could create editors for different types of games. They could write stuff like UI editors (for in-game UIs) .... oh the possibilites ...

babyjeans

This is a thing I would love to see ASAP. I've got tons of little objects I've resorted to making a tool for outside GMS2, that was sad.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Please see the (many) previous comments about the utterly MASSIVE amounts of documentation needed before this ever happens.....

M

mazimadu

If this is true, then does that mean that we can make plugins for complex objects, i.e, Objects made up of existing objects that share events and can be represented in the level editor as one object (similar to brushes)? I was going to ask this earlier but I needed to learn a bit more about the new IDE.

babyjeans

That's kinda what my point was ;) I can wait forever logistically... but i can't wait emotionally ;P
Until then, python and C# will have to serve as my tool masters.

D

Drenathor

While plugins are on the cards, it'll be a loooooong time before they appear. As you can imagine, the UI, resource manager, rendering API, Threaded File APIs,...blah blah blah... are all pretty massive, and there is a HUGE amount of documentation needed before we can even think about do it.

When you get right down to it, everything you see in the IDE is a plugin, very little is in the "core" or built-in. So yes, once it is released, you should be able to do just about anything....

But again............Looooooooooooooooooooooooooong way off.
Loooooooooooooooooooooooong way off huh? Sounds like I have time to learn a new programming language then :D What language would these extensions be written in?