• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion IDE crashes silently after a variable amount of time

D

Daniel Von Krauss

Since at least two weeks ago I'm having random crashes in GMS2 with no error messages. These occur even if I'm not interacting with the program (it can crash on its own in the background). The behaviour is as if a gremlin inside the computer randomly the process at any random time.

I have it installed in a different computer with identical settings and projects and I have no issues there. In fact my whole team is using the same version and projects and they don't have any issues either.

I'm at a bit of a loss about what to do, since there is no error log or anything that I know to pull from.

Any ideas? I've searched the forum but I haven't found anything. The only thing I can imagine is some background process is messing up with GMS', but I'm having a hard time proving my theory.

D

Daniel Von Krauss

Does your PC happen to have very little RAM, by any chance?
I have 16 gb in this computer, shouldn't be a memory issue. I actually have less at home where I've never had a crash.

I've already tried doing a clear reinstall (register, program data and all), to no avail.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I have a MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM, and the GMS 2 IDE becomes unstable after about an hour or so of regular use. When this happens, the RAM usage is up to about 2-3GB. I've reported this to YoYo, but I have no idea when or even if this will be addressed.

In the meantime, the workaround I've adopted is to give the IDE "restart breaks" every 30-60 minutes to keep the surprise crashes down. It's an ostrich tactic for sure, but there's nothing more I could do on my own behalf.

D

Daniel Von Krauss

I've been running the IDE as administrator this afternoon, and so far I haven't experienced any crashes. I could've sworn I tried this in the past and I still had the same problem. We'll see.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
I used to have that for a while (I have a tendency of keeping the IDE running for days at a time), but it seemed to mysteriously vanish at one point. I suspect that [at least in my case] it might have been a GPU driver issue, as I cannot think of any other explanation to how the IDE would crash while doing absolutely nothing in minimized state.

rIKmAN

The IDE used to randomly crash when idling back before they fixed the Windows freeze / dialogue freeze issue a few versions back.

If it only happening on your machine then it is likely down to drivers / Windows updates / BIOS Settings or some other software that may be present on that machine that isn't on the others.

Might be a case of trial and error to find it though.