• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows I'd like to install GameMaker on 2 PC's for a father / son team.

R

Roboelectro

My son would like Game Maker studio developer installed on 2 PC's. Kind of like a father & son project. I'd like to help with development but I'm unsure if GMS2 will allow this?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Licenses are per person. Two people working on a game would therefore need two licenses, one for each person.

Yeah, but if we want to be picky about it, depending on how old your son is (40+ Tanguy's don't count! 😂 ):
1.2. Access for Adults Only or With Adult Approval. Legally, you must be at least 13 years old to use the YYG Property and Publisher Property. If you are between 13 and 18 (or whatever is the local age of majority in your home territory), please ask your parent or guardian to review and approve this User Agreement and to supervise your use of the YYG Property and Publisher Property. Some YYG Property and Publisher Property may have age ratings, which will be displayed when you purchase and/or download them. Please note that there are special rules for Educational Institutions detailed in sections 3.11 (Educational Subscriptions) - 3.13 (Compliance and Privacy) below.
So my guess is that it could definitely fall under parent supervision/review. That's if you plan to work on the same stuff, of course, it wouldn't be "fair" to have multiple users work in parrallel on different projects, but in this case, I don't know...

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Yup, that provision is only about a minor getting permission...it isn't really anything about sharing a license. A minor can't sign a contract or be bound by one, and the ToS is at the least in theory a form of contract.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
A single licence for GameMaker Studio 2 can be installed on up to 3 machines, supposing that each machine belongs to the licence holder. If you buy the licence then that's you, and officially only you can use the product, unless the product is for a minor in which case you are within your parental rights to buy the product for the minor then supervise their use of it. ;)

Yes, although I think YYG telemetry might flag something suspicious if a single licensed product is constantly being used at the same time on three machines... ;)
I understand that, but it is meant to run in my office, by me and my co-worker. same IP for both machines.
Now with covid, we both work from home. different IPs. Same project.
Are we supposed to buy a second license?

Are we supposed to buy a second license even when working from same office on same project?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Are we supposed to buy a second license?
Are we supposed to buy a second license even when working from same office on same project?
Yes and yes. A licence is ONLY for a single person, as explained in the EULA. The fact it can be installed on various machines is simply a convenience so that you can have it installed on a PC and a Mac, or on your home PC and a laptop, etc... See section 3.6 here: https://www.yoyogames.com/legal/eula

(i) install GameMaker for your personal use on up to three devices in order to develop and publish Publisher Property (e.g. assets and games);

Roderick

Yes and yes. A licence is ONLY for a single person, as explained in the EULA. The fact it can be installed on various machines is simply a convenience so that you can have it installed on a PC and a Mac, or on your home PC and a laptop, etc...
I imagine it would also be beneficial for testing networked multiplayer, which begs the question: if someone were to make a game that supports more than 3 players (4- and 8-player games seem fairly common), would they be expected to either compile the game each time they wanted to do multiplayer testing, or buy multiple licenses if they want to test it by running in the editor?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I imagine it would also be beneficial for testing networked multiplayer, which begs the question: if someone were to make a game that supports more than 3 players (4- and 8-player games seem fairly common), would they be expected to either compile the game each time they wanted to do multiplayer testing, or buy multiple licenses if they want to test it by running in the editor?
I don't understand the question... For testing multiplayer all you need to do is make an EXE and then share it with the test machines... You wouldn't have 8 machines all running the source YYP. I certainly wouldn't do it that way, and I've never heard of anyone else doing it that way either.

However, it's irrelevant to the main question of this topic, as the EULA clearly states that it's 1 licence per person, and the number of machines you can install that licence on doesn't really matter. Even if you could install it on 100 machines, only YOU can use it on those 100 machines.

Roderick

I don't understand the question... For testing multiplayer all you need to do is make an EXE and then share it with the test machines... You wouldn't have 8 machines all running the source YYP. I certainly wouldn't do it that way, and I've never heard of anyone else doing it that way either.
I'm mostly thinking about the hassle of testing, realizing something needs adjustment, having to recompile the EXE, then adjusting something again, recompiling, etc.

Of course, running the code from within the IDE, you'd have to manually make those changes at each station, so that wouldn't really be any better, I guess.

gnysek

You don't need to have IDE installed to test on another machine.

From what I remember, you just need to copy data.win, and then using any runner (even from previous game), execute: Path_To_Any_Runner.exe -game path_to_data.win.

Having IDE opened on two machines at once would mean both games aren't same, and to sync them it will same amount of time as copying .exe by creating executable and sharing it on some LAN shared directory.

Also, tests on other machine should be performed after you sure that all is OK on single machine, so it's last stage of tests.