• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Icon Size?

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
An icon can contain multiple differently-sized images - that's the point of format. Commonly included sizes include 16x16, 32x32 and 48x48. Including a 256x256 nowadays is also a good idea, since Windows will then be able to downscale that for other large icon sizes.

camerakid

Hey Guys,

Actually I am struggling with this ICON things too... I put into my project a small 32x32 ico file at the beginning.

Now I am trying to update to an ICO file that contains more options 16x16 upuntil 256x256 but for some crazy reason whenever I update it in the Global Game Settings / Windows / Options / Game Icon - Update it never updates to the new icon and all ZIP builds contain the older icon... anyone with any solution for this?

I used an online ICO maker, GIMP as well but all the time it updates when I press OK in Global Game Settings it returns the old icon.

Thanks.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Now I am trying to update to an ICO file that contains more options 16x16 upuntil 256x256 but for some crazy reason whenever I update it in the Global Game Settings / Windows / Options / Game Icon - Update it never updates to the new icon and all ZIP builds contain the older icon... anyone with any solution for this?
I've heard restarting GMS fixes this, not sure why or when, but I guess you could restart GM, replace the icon, save, and then restart it again - then it definitely should do whatever the restart thing supposedly fixes.

I

icuurd12b42

Use icofx to load a 256x256 png image. it will ask to make a windows ico out of it and generate all the icons windows need.

>it never updates to the new icon and all ZIP builds contain the older icon... anyone with any solution for this?

Changing icon and having windows not display the changes (new image in same filename) is actually a well known issue in window.

Someone made a batch file to force windows to update .ico images... you can probably find it googling "windows not updating icon"

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Since the topic already got hijacked, might as well leave this here for the sake of completeness... please make your own topics in the future, though.

This is the ancient "icon cache" issue... basically, Windows caches any icons it finds in .exe files and then uses the cache over the file's icon whenever it encounters that specific file again. Files are identified based on their file name, so if you save to the same file name multiple times, changing the icon in between, the icon you saw first will always be used.

That is, unless you clear the icon cache.

Alternatively, you can change the file name. The new icon will show up. You can also change the file name back and "magically", the old one will show up again. This doesn't mean there is a problem, though, it's just that the icon is already cached and will not be updated unless you force it.

Short version: There is no problem, or merely a visual one, and only on your end. It will work fine when uploaded.