• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

I want to buy Game Maker Studio 2

H

heanfry

But im unsure, because i want to create a game which can be played on pc also on mobile phone.

Do i have to buy both versions?

Can i first buy the Desktop version, and create the game for android also? - and then later buy the mobile version for exporting?

What are the differences of the two versions.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
The editor itself is identical in any edition - the only thing that changes is what platforms it can compile for;

If you buy only a mobile export, you still would be able to test on Windows (or Mac, if you're in the Mac editor beta), but won't be able to export the actual executable for the platform. This may be a better option if you want to test on mobile an then do PC builds when you are closer to release.

H

heanfry

Thank you,
so the only extra on mobile is, that i can compile, test and export to mobile?
and the actual game can be fully programed in desktop version for example?

chamaeleon

Thank you,
so the only extra on mobile is, that i can compile, test and export to mobile?
and the actual game can be fully programed in desktop version for example?
Yes. If you buy Desktop you can export desktop applications. If you buy Mobile you can export to mobile and test on desktop (but not export as standalone). If you buy both desktop and mobile you can export to both. Regardless of which product you start with, desktop or mobile, when you by the other one, you can *ideally* just export at that point given a project developed in the other (you're developing in the same application, adding export options gives you the option to export to additional platforms). Having said all this, if you develop for a long time, odds are pretty great that there will be small or large differences in platform behavior that might have made you pick a different way to implement some particular functionality in your game. HTML5 in particular is more sensitive to doing things a certain way, it seems like. But broadly speaking, pick up whatever platform you are most interested in now, and expand later when you're ready to export to more platforms.

Z

z0anthr0pe

It would be nice if you could get a version that exported to all formats in the same "box".

F

Falconsoft-Industries

I am buying Game Maker Studio 2 in 2 weeks from now. Since I live in Australia desktop for me is $140

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Can i first buy the Desktop version, and create the game for android also? - and then later buy the mobile version for exporting?
In practice, this strategy just can't be executed by anyone without prior mobile experience. Given how you asked this, you're probably one of them.

A lot of rookies come in with a desktop design, change the export to mobile, see it compile without errors and pop the champagne without a second thought. They couldn't have made a move any dumber than this. At best they end up with poor UX. At worst they end up with something that can't be used at all, and often because they haven't run it on the target platform, they are in no position to explain or fix it.

Desktop and mobile differ significantly in their modes of monetization, input, screen handling, continuity, and other system-level expectations. Put these off until release time and you'll learn the hard way. If you want to start with just the desktop export, fine, but you must plan for mobile differences from the start.

G

Desktop and mobile differ significantly in their modes of monetization, input, screen handling, continuity, and other system-level expectations. Put these off until release time and you'll learn the hard way. If you want to start with just the desktop export, fine, but you must plan for mobile differences from the start.
@FrostyCat Do you have any more specific thoughts, or know of a resource, regarding mobile-specific considerations that a person should account for when developing for both desktop and mobile?