• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Graphics I want an art/animation style for my game!

T

The Green Dev

I'm making a game called Chalulu Adventures and I'm struggling with finding a good art and animation style. Now at the moment I'm doing a SMB3 style because its the easiest for me to draw.
chalulugmf.png The standing sprite.
But I'm not sure if i should do it because it may be a bit odd for some objects to have such a big outline.
Also I'm terrible sprite art animator, I just can't animate sprites because its so hard for me to in between with precision with such a small space like pixel art sprites. So should I do more simple and choppier animations or spend more time to make it smooth? I also want you guys to help me choose an art style if you don't like this one.

Lumenflower

Yellow Dog
He kinda reminds me of Pajama Sam actually! There's nothing wrong with any graphics style as long as it's consistent and well designed. If you're not too confident in your abilities as an artist then I think this is a good style, as it's quite easy to draw.

Animations in a tight space needn't be any trouble either. A simple walk cycle can be accomplished in all of eight frames (less if you want but I'd be worried it'd look messy). Your animations, like your sprites, don't need to perfectly mimic real life either. In a cartoonish game your character can move like cartoon, perhaps without bending his knees for example. This can be much easier to animate. At any rate there are plenty of helpful artists here in the community who can give you a helping hand if you do get stuck.

T

The Green Dev

Is this good? It's pretty simple but I think It's still good
chaluluwalk_strip4.png

Lumenflower

Yellow Dog
Difficult to say for certain without seeing it in action but yeah it looks great. The simplicity matches your graphic style. Just be sure to turn down the speed enough so you can actually see what his legs are doing in the game :)

T

The Green Dev

I made a run animation :)
sprChaluluRun_strip4.png
Edit: Sorry, I made a mistake on the last frame with the back leg