• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM [(i think it's) SOLVED] ini file for every single object?

Hey guys!
It's me again with another noob question :D

I'm going to explain you what exactly I'm looking for first.

Here I have a picture of a lot of buttons, to which I'd like to assign a string and two coordinates.

So rightclicking one of these buttons saves the last stored mouse coordinate of the main game room. For example it stores the location of a house. it saves it to for example coord_x, and coord_y. Also the player can input a string to for example name these coordinates "interesting place".
Then later, when I click this button, It displays the string and I can quickly jump to that room and certain point. For example it takes the player directly to that interesting place. Everything works, except saving it, because everytime I load the game, the variables will be declared as "coord_x = 0; cooord_y = 0;" to prevent the undeclared variable error.

Okay so I thought of storing it in a DS Grid or an ini file...
Thing is: I'm absolutely not used to ds grids or maps etc, and I thought of giving each button an own ini file (which doesnt seem like the right solution). Can I for example store the button ID as section in the ini file? or are the button object ID's different everytime i open the game?

Would it be possible to do it like this:

1. open ini
2. write ini -> section: object id, coord x, coord y, string
3. ini close

?
or similar?

I'm pretty unexperienced with ini files, so I'd need an explanation for dummies here. Please try to give practical code examples, cause i really want to undestand it.

Maybe some of you followed my post about saving a sprite to an ini file which the user uploaded. Well that was a little bit more complicated, I didn't really get it to work and I'd like to store these coordinates for now! :D

So thanks for any help in advance!! :))

EDIT:

I already have another object similar to these.
A text object. But it's called by another instance and everything works there, even though i am declaring the variable 'text' as an empty string in the create event...

1. I'm choosing an object in my room, to which I assign the text.
2. the object id is stored in a global variable (global.last_object)
3. global.last_object.text = get_string("","");

then when i save and load the game, the text is still there, even though the create event of the objects says: var text; text = "";

Do I maybe have to make my other buttons persistent or so?

EDIT #2:

Making them persistent seems to solve my problem...
Yes I could have tried it before asking, but I'm interested in my "questions" anyway.

Last edited: