• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX I think GMS2 is corrupted

I just opened my game file and that's definitely corrupted. Weeks of code basically vanished one afternoon and nothing works right. I googled 'GMS2 corrupt' and found this link:

The link suggests it's a well known problem but I didn't see any sort of warning or disclaimer about this issue when I purchased the program. Does anyone know why large swaths of code are mysteriously disappearing from games?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Make a backup of your game.

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about the current state of software based on an article that was published two and a half years ago. ;)

If you have "weeks of code" vanishing, that tells us you're not taking the basic precautions of data security like making backups and using version control, or not doing so frequently enough. If you aren't already, you are strongly encouraged to use these two (free!) means of keeping your data safe in the future.

As for why this happened: We'd first have to know what happened in far greater detail. When you say that your game file is "definitely corrupted", what makes you think so? What used to be there that isn't there anymore? What were you doing when this happened?
Chances are it's merely your resources becoming unlinked, and you may be able to recover them. Check your project's resource subfolders to see if whatever is missing from the game is still present there. If so, you can just add it back.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Additional links:

Also, csanyk's blog post talks about a specific case of corruption related to "view" files, which have been fixed in GMS 2.3+.

Generally work can be lost to a variety of internal (e.g. actual bugs in GameMaker), external (e.g. overzealous antivirus software or file access conflicts related to string your project folder in cloud sync directories like Dropbox), hardware (e.g. disk failure or power going out exactly mid-save) and human (e.g. running rm -rf wrong) factors, so it is better to utilize backups (or, better yet, version control) than enthusiastically assume that none of countless parts that make up the experience will ever fail.