GameMaker I Seriously Appreciate Yoyo

Erayd

I want to say it because I don't know if it's said enough.

I appreciate the game engine, the forums, the bug fixes, the support team, everything.

I've been learning game design/programming for about 8 years now and game design isn't my job, it's my hobby. My job is hard to explain, but put simply, "I write and work with tools that automate quality assurance for a software built by a company that uses it to make thousands of school websites."

I regularly do boat loads of research, learning and programming both in and out of my general work schedule because I find programming to be fun. I love making games, even if my game never gets released, I don't much care, I just enjoy working on it.

I say all of this to give a little context to my above statement. I know what companies can be like, I know what a company looks like that doesn't care for their user base. Companies that are only in it to make a few extra dollars. I can even see how easy it is to fall in to the same hole.

Yet Game Maker Studio 2 was released a while back, a much needed rewrite of the original studio that vastly improves on the old structure. Yes there are bugs, but nothing too major that stops development and if I mention it in a forum or post a bug report, eventually it gets fixed. Which is huge to me. What's more is I rarely run in to a roadblock as far as a feature goes by using GML or openGL. No theres no conversation logic tree scripting feature, but I can make my own! No theres no built in imaginary number functionality, but I can build scripts that follow the same rules myself! It's great!

And then they go and totally rebuild the horrible old forums and release this beautiful masterpiece with all these amazing features I wish every site had! Of course I'll pay for my license of studio again; it's more than worth it!

Anyway, that's all lol don't mind me, just thought I'd give some love to the devs that make it all possible.

S

sofaspartan

I feel the same way. Yoyogames has come a long was since I started with it 8 years ago!

L

lemonhead

I also can say that I am in heaven with GMS2. So much work has gone into the improvements of GM over the years and the engine is more than capable of handling about any type of 2D game and even some 3D with a lot more effort. All of the wonderful export modules available at such accessible pricing. I have been blown away honestly by the community here as well. Everyone so far has been extremely helpful and supportive. I started with GM 1.4 only a couple years ago. Started about 6 games but never actually finished one. With the help of this forum, and the many resources available online, I spend just about every free minute I have learning, practicing, and digging in to GMS2. I wish to become very comfortable and second nature-ee with it! Thanks to all the hard working folks at YoYo and of course a big thanks to people have come and gone (Mike Dailly) for their invaluable contributions. All you guys and gals at YoYo truly deserve a round of applause. You have made many folks dreams of game creation become true by making it accessible to all.

jackquake

I'm "all in" on this as well. Without Gamemaker, my autistic little boy wouldn't have the "Match the Letters" game to help him with understanding the Alphabet, nor his "Match the Numbers" game to help him with numbers, or his "Sequence" game that makes him put them in the right order, or his "Scratch off the Picture" game that teaches him fruits and their names... And the list goes on and on...

He is my little beta tester that turned 5 a few days ago. Basically, any game I've actually finished, has been for him to give me feedback on. :)

Hats off to YoyoGames, the staff, @Mike, the YouTubers, the Blog Writers and Documention that has some really good examples (yeah, that's you @Nocturne), @FrostyCat with his "index card" lookups on common mistakes, and a whole bunch of other folks. Seriously, the list is huge and I apologize for not mentioning you by name, if I didn't.

Thank you everyone for helping me put a bigger smile on my boy's face. That... is what really means a lot to me.