Graphics I NEED SPRITES!

HerkusX

Hello, i am making my first game and mostly i use images from google, but now i cant find there what i want! And i am really bad at drawing + i need a decent looking image. (Game is made by high quality pictures).

Also i am only 17 and i cant afford paying someone to make the images.

Sprites that i need: A lot of random people (they should either look like anime people Or they could just be black siluets)
And i need them to have a dying animation (fall to the ground or something like that)

I am not asking someone from here to draw them for me because i know you all have your own stuff to do and wont do it for free, but maybe someone knows where can i find such sprites?

rui.r6o

Taking a look at the resources for game jams can help you find link to several websites with different types of resources. I'd suggest starting there. Also, if the intent of the project is to learn (as mentioned in a different thread) I wouldn't worry about the graphics too much, even some doodles would work. If you are looking for graphics from existing games, maybe The Spriters Resource would be a nice place to look.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
mostly i use images from google
I recommend quitting this habit right now, most images you'll find on google has some form of copyright to them, you wouldn't want to release a game and have an army of lawyers at your door over that one pic you used
even googling "copyright free images" and taking any from the images tab is bad as google is index and cares not if its actually copyright free.

I would suggest instead looking at the above "opengameart" or any other free resource website for sprites

chamaeleon

Besides the free art already mentioned, if a few dollars are available Humble Bundle does have collections that can be of interest from time to time.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Did it ever occur to you to learn how to draw? Pixel art is traditionally the easiest way to go, but your game has to be of that style(and it seems that yours is not). You could also learn vector art, or even do 3d pre-renders like I do. Yes, it will take you time to get good at it. But it is 100% worth it as you no longer depend on anybody else or any websites for your art.

HerkusX

Did it ever occur to you to learn how to draw? Pixel art is traditionally the easiest way to go, but your game has to be of that style(and it seems that yours is not). You could also learn vector art, or even do 3d pre-renders like I do. Yes, it will take you time to get good at it. But it is 100% worth it as you no longer depend on anybody else or any websites for your art.
I think i have to focus on one subject, which is programming, to learn it quicker. Plus art is definetly not my thing

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I think i have to focus on one subject, which is programming, to learn it quicker. Plus art is definetly not my thing
There is merit to that...but the price to pay is that dependence on outside sources for the things that you are not able to learn at this time. It's your decision of course.

Rayek

You are aware of Kenny? https://kenney.nl/assets

Focus on designing and coding the game, and use these graphics as placeholders for something nicer later perhaps. Most are pretty easy to edit and adjust in a free SVG editor such as Inkscape to create custom looking versions.

And if your game plays really well, there is a chance to partner up with beginner game artists. At least you will have proven yourself to be able to finish a playable game.

The thing is that this is my first game, it won't even profit me to pay people to do work for me
I see it as a basic investment, which will last a lifetime. I know you're very young, but let me tell ya, NOTHING comes for free in life.
You mention people paying for it...well...let me tell you, a game doesn't magically sells just because it exists. It has to be fun and ideally look good. Even if it looks good, it's better to have some personality in it than just flipping assets everybody and their mom has seen hundreds of time.
Give yourself a shot, and make it look and feel great. Otherwise, you'll probably not even recoup the cost for putting it up on Steam, or whatnot.

Rayek

NOTHING comes for free in life.
The best things in life are free!

@HerkusX If this is your first game, just focus on playability and fun factor. And have fun exploring game design and programming, instead of focusing too much on how things 'should' look.

Too many beginners fail because they want too much in their first games. Avoid expecting too much from your first efforts, and enjoy the learning experience (which comes for free at no cost if you let it!)

Must be why homeless people are so happy.
This is ridiculous, if you're really 47 like your profile implies, you know life, you know rent, you know food, you know bills, you know clothes, you know some internet connection, you know means of transportation [I could go on, but I'll stop there], are all required to enjoy those "Free" things. Let's be real.

Rayek

Must be why homeless people are so happy.
This is ridiculous, if you're really 47 like your profile implies, you know life, you know rent, you know food, you know bills, you know clothes, you know some internet connection, you know means of transportation [I could go on, but I'll stop there], are all required to enjoy those "Free" things. Let's be real.
If you have lived long enough & experienced enough you would be aware that both statements are true.

HerkusX

@HerkusX If this is your first game, just focus on playability and fun factor. And have fun exploring game design and programming, instead of focusing too much on how things 'should' look.

Too many beginners fail because they want too much in their first games. Avoid expecting too much from your first efforts, and enjoy the learning experience (which comes for free at no cost if you let it!)
The thing is, this sprite that i need, is my top priority right now, because i need an animation of a person dying and falling. The main goal in this game is to kill people. (Game will be based on Death note movie or anime if u have seen it)

rui.r6o

The thing is, this sprite that i need, is my top priority right now, because i need an animation of a person dying and falling. The main goal in this game is to kill people. (Game will be based on Death note movie or anime if u have seen it)
Draw a stick figure and create a simple animation of it rotating until it is laying down, dead. Treat it as placeholder art, meaning that the art asset is not final. This will allow you to get a feel for the dimensions the actual art should have, how long the animation should take, etc while allowing you to continue development of your game (instead of being blocked because you are searching for proper art). You can develop a chunk of the game using placeholder art like this and then do a focused search for the several pieces of art you've accumulated in one go, or while you develop the game have a friend/acquaintance/contractor create the necessary art. Either way, it's likely that your game will infringe some copyright if you use actual art from the manga/anime so your ideal finished version of the game might not be legally possible.

HerkusX

Draw a stick figure and create a simple animation of it rotating until it is laying down, dead. Treat it as placeholder art, meaning that the art asset is not final. This will allow you to get a feel for the dimensions the actual art should have, how long the animation should take, etc while allowing you to continue development of your game (instead of being blocked because you are searching for proper art). You can develop a chunk of the game using placeholder art like this and then do a focused search for the several pieces of art you've accumulated in one go, or while you develop the game have a friend/acquaintance/contractor create the necessary art. Either way, it's likely that your game will infringe some copyright if you use actual art from the manga/anime so your ideal finished version of the game might not be legally possible.
Hi, this is a great idea. I Already asked my girlfriend (she is unbelievably talented artist, but she only draws on paper) to try and learn drawing with computer, and SOMEHOW she is actually unbelievably talented on pc too even tho it was her first time. Anyway she will be creating art that ill need when she will get used to drawing on pc.

I dont know if that will make sence to you cause today my english is a bit rusty.

I'll do the placeholder art like u said, untill ill get the sprites from her.