• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Idea I need a better name for this game

C

Crimson Flames

I'm working on a game right now under the working title of "Hack the World."

I'm calling it that because that's literally what you do. You work with the protagonist, Gelea, to fix glitches and ultimately save her Gameworld from being destroyed by a virus.

Some quick notes, here:
  • Unlike most video game protagonists, Gelea knows that she's a game, and she also knows the player exists. Players can make 'suggestions', but itā€™s ultimately up to her. She is also aware of her own deaths, and will get angry at the player if they let her die.
    • Because Gelea is self-aware, there's probably gonna be a lot of 4th wall breaks. In fact, there is a literal 4th wall which Gelea eventually learns how to see, and can use to directly interact with the player.
  • Glitches are basically any person, creature, or object whose code has been meddled with. This ranges from simple color or scale variations, to changing an otherwise neutral animal or object into an enemy.
    • Due to the nature of this game and the way glitches are fixed, 'magic' is interchangeable with 'code', 'spell' is interchangeable with 'hacking' or 'manipulating code', and 'mage' is interchangeable with 'hacker' or 'coder'.
  • Hopefully these notes have cleared things up a bit.

Reactions: 607
C

Crimson Flames

Obscurity
Tha's a nice one. I might use that.

Also, I forgot to mention this, but there are two sort of parallel worlds, the 'real' world and the codeworld. They are interconnected, changes in the code world affect the 'real' world.

Gelea is not aware of any of this at first. Her adventure starts when
she is almost killed by a glitch. She is rescued by a mysterious character named Hax, who explains it all.

C

Crimson Flames

What about "Debugger" or "Re-Coder" "Code Switch" "Code Block" "Programmer: Operation Debug"
I forgot to mention, it's in a medeival, Zelda-esque world, so those names wouldn't quite work. I appreciate the thought though.

Joe Ellis

Hack-Attack, I laughed when this popped in my head, so I wont be offended if your like "noo thats terrible"

C

Crimson Flames

Hack-Attack, I laughed when this popped in my head, so I wont be offended if your like "noo thats terrible"
Not actually too bad.
Hack-Attack sounds like it'd be a tower defense game instead of an RPG though.

Joe Ellis

Not actually too bad.
Hack-Attack sounds like it'd be a tower defense game instead of an RPG though.
ha yeah, its certainly catchy, but has more of a crazy arcade game feel to it than a more serious game, Your idea is really cool btw its really original, do you have any screenshots?

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
How about "Codex Legend", but stylized like this?

Codex //_EGEND

"Codex" means 'book' in latin, in particular used for bibles and spellbooks, and "code x legend" can also be read as "code meets legend" - coloring the x differently helps with that interpretation. The L in Legend would have its vertical stroke be replaced with a double slash (in a better way than I could do above, preferably :p) and the word be colored green so that it's a pun on the most well-known type of comment notation.

C

Crimson Flames

How about "Codex Legend", but stylized like this?

Codex //_EGEND

"Codex" means 'book' in latin, in particular used for bibles and spellbooks, and "code x legend" can also be read as "code meets legend" - coloring the x differently helps with that interpretation. The L in Legend would have its vertical stroke be replaced with a double slash (in a better way than I could do above, preferably :p) and the word be colored green so that it's a pun on the most well-known type of comment notation.
OK, that's REALLY good. I think I'll use that. It sounds cool, and sort of hints at what the game is about. Definitely using that

C

Crimson Flames

ha yeah, its certainly catchy, but has more of a crazy arcade game feel to it than a more serious game, Your idea is really cool btw its really original, do you have any screenshots?
No screenshots yet, I'm still trying to figure out how to make a basic turn-based battle system. As soon as I get all the basics (battle, shop, inventory, etc.) figured out then I'll start adding the story.

I have part of the story already, I just don't know how to program everything I need for the game to be fun for players.

Here's a link to my website, where I'll be posting a demo once I get stuff figured out: Dragon Wolf Games
I'm also on twitter @Crimson_Flamez, where I post game-related stuff, and occasionally random questions about the universe.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Crimson Flames

Alright, guys, thanks for the ideas. I have decided to use @Yal 's suggestion.

Thanks to everyone who provided ideas, I appreciate it

Joe Ellis

I'd say the top one

Here's a link to my website, where I'll be posting a demo once I get stuff figured out: Dragon Wolf Games
Cool I'm interested in this already, gonna keep checking your website

If you're stuck with any programming things I could try and help, I've never programmed a turn-based rpg but I used to play pokemon on gameboy everyday when I was a kid lol, and I have a fair bit of experience with arrays, which can be used to store all the inventory & battle specs

C

Crimson Flames

I'd say the top one

Cool I'm interested in this already, gonna keep checking your website

If you're stuck with any programming things I could try and help, I've never programmed a turn-based rpg but I used to play pokemon on gameboy everyday when I was a kid lol, and I have a fair bit of experience with arrays, which can be used to store all the inventory & battle specs
Cool! thank you! I've mostly been relying on YouTube tutorials so far, just editing things a bit to fit my game.
The battle system is going to be sort of similar to the Golden Sun battle system (if you don't know what Golden Sun is, click here)

J

Jaqueta

I would suggest avoid using those symbols:
Code:
\/:*?<>|
I did used | in my game, and this brought me some headaches, since Windows doesn't allow us to use them in Folders and File names for some reason.

Genetix

Here's a concept logo I put together, I agree with Jaqueta though - I'd avoid using special characters in the actual file names and listings for the game as it can cause problems, and also hurt SEO when users search for the game.cooltext239337651329295.png

C

Crimson Flames

Here's a concept logo I put together, I agree with Jaqueta though - I'd avoid using special characters in the actual file names and listings for the game as it can cause problems, and also hurt SEO when users search for the game.View attachment 8514
Yeah, I wasn't planning on using the // characters in the filename, that's just the way the it's stylized. Also, nice logo. I might use that version, it looks better than what I made.

C

Crimson Flames

Alright you guys, thanks for the help with naming & design, I appreciate it. You guys all rock!

I will be posting updates about the game on my Twitter page, and once I have a demo put together, I'll put it up on the Dragon Wolf Games website, as well as in the Work in Progress forumhttps://sites.google.com/view/dragonwolfgames/

Also, just because, here's a picture of Gelea (the main character).
gelea.png

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hydr0

I'm working on a game right now under the working title of "Hack the World."

I'm calling it that because that's literally what you do. You work with the protagonist, Gelea, to fix glitches and ultimately save her Gameworld from being destroyed by a virus.

Some quick notes, here:
  • Unlike most video game protagonists, Gelea knows that she's a game, and she also knows the player exists. Players can make 'suggestions', but itā€™s ultimately up to her. She is also aware of her own deaths, and will get angry at the player if they let her die.
    • Because Gelea is self-aware, there's probably gonna be a lot of 4th wall breaks. In fact, there is a literal 4th wall which Gelea eventually learns how to see, and can use to directly interact with the player.
  • Glitches are basically any person, creature, or object whose code has been meddled with. This ranges from simple color or scale variations, to changing an otherwise neutral animal or object into an enemy.
    • Due to the nature of this game and the way glitches are fixed, 'magic' is interchangeable with 'code', 'spell' is interchangeable with 'hacking' or 'manipulating code', and 'mage' is interchangeable with 'hacker' or 'coder'.
  • Hopefully these notes have cleared things up a bit.
Exterminator