• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

HTML5 I made Starcraft but I only had 3 hours

Play it here:
starcraft_bioh3h.png
What is this?

I tried making Starcraft but I only had 3 hours. This improved version effectively took 5 hours to make (3 hours to reach a state with only terrans, 2 hours to add the other races and do a bunch of testing)

Features
  • 3 playable races (zerg,protoss,terran)
  • 2 units per race (a worker and a soldier)
  • Dynamic AI which adapts as you play
How to play
  • Left click: select unit (you can also hold down left click to draw a rectangle and select multiple units)
  • Right click: move towards position/set building waypoint
  • Build a healthy mix of your 2 unit types to win. Build only workers and the AI will rush you, build only soldiers and your economy will suffer.

K12gamer

Slowly getting the hang of it. The video helped. Cool game!
Reminds me of the old (1989) Herzog Zewi game on the Sega Genesis (one of my old favorites)

Sisyphus

Awesome for 5 hours work mate. Would you consider developing the base game further, perhaps with new designs?

I would love to see more independently made strategy games!

I am very curious, what was your general approach to making the Ai?

Awesome for 5 hours work mate. Would you consider developing the base game further, perhaps with new designs?

I would love to see more independently made strategy games!

I am very curious, what was your general approach to making the Ai?
hey!
That was mostly a training session, so I don't plan on developing the base game any further (but it's open source so feel free to check it out!)

My approach for the AI was:
- continuously produce units with a 1/3 chance of workers and a 2/3 chance of soldiers
- if AI has more than 250 minerals, send a worker to expand
- if player is next to AI base, attack with all soldiers
- if AI army is double (in mineral cost) of player army, attack with all soldiers.