Feedback I cant seem to make my game how i want to make it.

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by fxokz, Jan 12, 2017.

1. fxokz

fxokz Member

Ive been trying to shape my game into exactly what i want but cant quite seem to get there.. Its just somewhere in the mechanics i feel.. I want there to be constant enemies in the screen and constant screen shakes and just tons of shooting but it feels more of a predictable, linear boring sort of game. On the bright note i am slowly getting there but i feel as if a large chunk is missing. How can i make something feel more actiony/fast paced and just super awesome? Ive added a knockback to the guns in my game, plenty of weapons and plenty of variation in enemies but..

i can never make a moment in my game where the player is just shooting at a bunch of enemies with screen shake explosions etc.. I just feel too relaxed when im playing and this isnt the feel i want to portray when others play the game..

2. GMWolf

GMWolf aka fel666

Hard to tell you how to improve your game without seeing it...

3. fxokz

fxokz Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can link you the work in progress version of my game but it is extremely out of date.

4. GMWolf

GMWolf aka fel666

Levels are too big. To much long timing involved. Try to make it so you don't need to wait for the right moment. (Like waiting for a moving platform).

Move things closer together.
    Static enemies are very predictable, obviously. Try adding rockets that fly towards you or something.

Add sound if you haven't already. It makes all the difference! Music will make it feel more upbeat.
    Sound effects give weight and meaning to your actions.

Ninety likes this.
  5. fxokz

fxokz Member

What exactly do you mean?

already done for like 90% of the objects

I dont want to make it too clustered because the player wont be able to move around freely and express his tall jumps as well. if you check the gif, the player moves fast and can jump somewhat high. I guess i can still make things a little closer together..

There are some enemies that are predictable like the running things and the bats that just move towards you with "move_towards_point" there are also tentacles that can pop up when you walk near them which is less predictable.. I like the idea of rockets but i dont know if it will fit the theme of my game.. ill try to see if i can implement them to test if they work well or not. but umm.. yeah.. lots of work to do.

6. GMWolf

GMWolf aka fel666

Like before jumping on the platform. You break the flow of the game as the player needs to wait for the platform to lower.
    You could make this better by having the player need to avoid attacks whilst waiting for it.

You will have to choose what the feeling of your game is.

And then you find your game too predictable...

7. If you want action and fast pacing adding to your game you'll essentially want more things to dodge and more things to hit.

Enemies coming at you in groups means the player has to worry about more than one thing at a time. Enemies with different attacks will make the player have to do react differently depending on the situation.
    It looks like you have a focus on jumping. Try to have different types of jumps (double jump, jump then boost, ground pound, etc) to give the player more evasion options. You'll find you're going in the right direction when you find yourself wiggling the d-pad/arrow keys while in the middle of the air to desperately get out of the way of something.
    The option to switch between different weapons may also help. Giving the player a choice in the middle of combat will lead to taking risks.
    Basically put more pressure on the player. The more pressure the more action-ey it will feel.

8. fxokz

fxokz Member

Im doing this...

9. gamedev4life

gamedev4life Member

just some random ideas (idk but it appears the character can only shoot straight): make the character be able to shoot in traditional 8 directions (up, down, left right, and diagonally up (left and right), diagonally down (left and right); add backpedal (and of course be able to fire any of the 8 direction while backpedaling); add fatter bullets and higher rate of fire; be able to throw grenades that have nice explosions; add weapons that shoot multiple projectiles like a shotgun, that fire explosives shells; more particle effects that have physics; add weapon flash (when firing); add local multiplayer (like contra).

i think adding some backgrounds (maybe get from opengameart) would help too.

and def add some enemies that work in large numbers and die quick--with nice death effects.

also, study this game, it does really well what i think youre trying to accomplish by "constant enemies in the screen and constant screen shakes and just tons of shooting"

10. DyingSilence

DyingSilence Member

(A moment of silence for a guy inspired by Broforce that is taught how to Broforce)

SnoutUp, fxokz and HayManMarc like this.
  11. fxokz

fxokz Member

LOL

12. sp202

sp202 Member

Give the player a reason to keep moving right and to never move left. One option is some sort of flame wall or something that is constantly chasing the player from the left, but that's hardly subtle or elegant. What you can also do is create multiple paths created through timing. What I mean by this is not necessarily alternate paths, but arrange the timing of the levels such that a risk-taking, good player could get through the whole level without stopping moving while more conservative players are able to wait for platforms to move and take things at a more leisurely pace.

13. JackTurbo

JackTurbo Member

Following on from this, I'd also suggest taking a long look at the Metal Slug games, I think they do a lot of what you're trying to achieve superbly

14. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

Reading is boring, so you could make your HUD more interesting if you used symbols instead of text (hearts for HP, a rotating coin for coins, a bullet for ammo, infinity symbols instead of typing out 'INFINITE').

Having a background instead of just flat blackness will help as well, especially if you have a two-layer parallax-scrolling background with a sky and a city or something similar.

15. fxokz

fxokz Member

The main thing i hate most about backgrounds is the fact that they can potentially conflict with drawn text.. if i have any light colours in the background that align with white text, it just becomes confusing and annoying.. i am still yet to figure out a good solution..

You are definitely right about the boring text though.

16. sp202

sp202 Member

There are ways to make white text on light backgrounds legible; outlines/drop shadows. A black background is better than a bad background but a decent background goes a long way. Think of the background as a way to flesh out the character of the game (in the personification sense, not the literal player character, though that works too).

17. SnoutUp

SnoutUp Member

Why would you ever try to adapt background to a couple lines of informational text instead of the other way around..? Change labels to icons, use outlined text extension for contrast if you're not going to add any background for the GUI. And don't write "infinite/infinite". Less text on screen = better.

zendraw likes this.
  18. zendraw

zendraw Member

try adding more problems with easy and quick solutions, but with short alarm-reaction timespan
    an enemy pops [ALARM]
    1 sec for reaction before it kills/damages you

but you must also make sure the alarming is clear and visible to the player and actually alarm him. distinguishable sound/visual effects.

fxokz likes this.
  19. fxokz

fxokz Member

There is also 1 more problem in my game thats starting to scare me.. I was going to make a new topic for this but i thought id just write it here instead.

I attempted to speedrun the first 7 levels of my game and i did so in exactly 5 minutes and 30 seconds.. I planned that my game would have 18 levels but wasnt really sure how long it would take from start till finish.. Is this a major concern to you guys or do you think that its okay? Im starting to increase the level lengths and add more puzzles so that the player cant just run from start to finish avoiding all enemies in his path.. but i mean damn.. 7 levels in 5 min 30 sec..

edit: how can i use the infinity symbol? i cant type it using the alt code or copy and paste it either.. is there a unique way? also isnt it supposed to be included with the font im using which it isnt..

20. sp202

sp202 Member

What are your ambitions for the game? 15-30 minutes of gameplay is fine for a freeware game as long as what's there is good.

21. fxokz

fxokz Member

well, i didnt really think about how long my game should play out.. I can easily get to the 20 minute mark at the current rate of development. and yeah i decided the game is gonna be for free.

now back to the real question. How can i use the infinity symbol when it turns into this when i try to alt code it "ý"

22. sp202

sp202 Member

You could always use a sprite.

23. Bingdom

Bingdom Googledom

Windows Key + R
    Type in "charmap.exe"

24. beyond_help

beyond_help Guest

To be honest, the sprites and backgrounds could do with an overhaul.

I find games that work well for me have quite busy screens without restricting movement, when the sprites are like they are, the game just seems boing.

Don't get me wrong, the game would be quite fun to play by the looks of that gif, but it's like the difference between good, and great :)

Goodluck!

25. fxokz

fxokz Member

i can type it now however it doesnt appear in my game. what shall i do? I tried adding it to the font but it still doesnt appear

26. Bingdom

Bingdom Googledom

What did you use to add it in the font? Font forge?

Try using a built-in windows font and see if you can see it.

27. zendraw

zendraw Member

if you use a sprite as a font then just replace a symbol that you wont be using with the infinity symbol and thats that.

28. fxokz

fxokz Member

i just clicked on the "add a font range" button and pasted the symbol there and now it appears there along with the other characters

29. fxokz

fxokz Member

and yes it works with default fonts, just not with the font im using (silkscreen)

30. sp202

sp202 Member

Then the font probably doesn't have the symbol, I think a sprite would save you a lot of hassle.

fxokz likes this.
  31. Bingdom

Bingdom Googledom

It's very likely the problem would be that the font doesn't contain an infinity symbol. You'll have to:

1. Manually add it yourself (I recommend font forge) or
    2. Ask the publisher of the font to add a infinity symbol or
    3. Use a different font that contains a infinity symbol.​

32. fxokz

fxokz Member

yeah i cant modify the font because i need permission or something from the publisher. i dont know what to do.. might just use a sprite instead.

33. SnoutUp

SnoutUp Member

You can also hide ammo line completely if it's unlimited for the selected weapon. And speedrunning doesn't represent the real playtime of the game, but you can distract players with secrets and interesting level designs.

fxokz likes this.
  34. One thing to note here is simply that you, as the maker of the game, know what your game is. If you know how to play the level it stands to reason that you can complete it quickly. The real question is *how* you are completing the levels so fast. If you're doing nothing beyond just holding down right on the d-pad and the game pretty much completes itself then you may have a problem, but if you're moving all over the place and having to challenge yourself to stay alive and still completing a level in around 47 seconds then it's not an issue.

Best thing to do, get someone else to play it for you. See how they play and ask them how it feels. You may have a pacing issues that they may be able to help you feel out. Does the next level immediately start as soon as the previous one ends? Then you may need a break screen of sorts (think the Mario lives screen that shows up between levels, it gives the feeling of a moment between levels, allowing you to stop and start again).

fxokz likes this.
  35. Electros

Electros Member

Hey @fxokz , just some thoughts on a couple of things you posted:

-I want there to be constant enemies in the screen and constant screen shakes and just tons of shooting
    -Im starting to increase the level lengths and add more puzzles so that the player cant just run from start to finish

Maybe the issue is trying to juxtapose the two? The mechanics look pretty action orientated, so perhaps focus on that - short, frantic and satisfying levels, and pile in the enemies and franticness. Could even make it a time attack to get from start to finish with a par time for the level and have a nice big timer counting down to heap it on the player. ;)

fxokz likes this.