GameMaker I bought GMS2 :)

Just want to give a big thank you Yoyogames for this opportunity! I've been using GMS1.4 but I thought it's about time I upgrade! I just bought GMS2 Desktop+Web+Mobile bundle on Steam! The ongoing 25% Summer Sale really helped! I can't wait for the official GMS 2.3 release! Now I'm wondering if I should be making my games on the beta version or use the stable version for now. What do you guys think?
gms2.PNG

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Officially, the beta is for testing, not for production use. You can use it for anything you want as long as you accept that bugs are to be expected more so than in a stable release. That includes but is not limited to breaking bugs that may corrupt your project and destroy everything you've worked on. That sounds like a great opportunity to start learning how to make backups and how to use source control, though... while also getting to know the new features already. ;)

R

rob2d

would definitely use the beta as games take a while to make and functions + closures and structs are super useful thus far.

A

-AAG-

I am about to buy it and am really only interested on HTML5. Can I buy just that or do I need to buy something else?

Sabnock

Officially, the beta is for testing, not for production use. You can use it for anything you want as long as you accept that bugs are to be expected more so than in a stable release. That includes but is not limited to breaking bugs that may corrupt your project and destroy everything you've worked on. That sounds like a great opportunity to start learning how to make backups and how to use source control, though... while also getting to know the new features already. ;)
I have had several serious bugs in 2.3 so far just one of them being that the tile map refused to update between it's first time setup and subsequent edits. TBH that shouldn't have made it out of Alpha.

@GrizzliusMaximus Congratulations on your worthy purchase. GMS 2. is far superior than 1.4 in every way imo.

I am about to buy it and am really only interested on HTML5. Can I buy just that or do I need to buy something else?
I guess you can? It never said you need the desktop version but I guess you will only be able to use HTML5 for testing. I am not 100% sure about this.

jmacklin308

I have had several serious bugs in 2.3 so far just one of them being that the tile map refused to update between it's first time setup and subsequent edits. TBH that shouldn't have made it out of Alpha.

@GrizzliusMaximus Congratulations on your worthy purchase. GMS 2. is far superior than 1.4 in every way imo.
You can, just go to the site and under the "developer" options you can select web.

I'd use the beta because arbitrary array creation is really nice. The beta is pretty stable, but there are bugs... As a new user probably the worst bug is false errors, so maybe get acclimated to the current version and then give the beta a try?

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
I'm using the beta for everything, including the Game Jam 37 . It's pretty stable for me, but I have experienced disappearing assets, (which turned out to still be there in the folders) but that's why I use github, and GMS2 lets you do commits right from the IDE, which is nice. I also like that inline functions allow me to make self contained objects that are easy to manage and share between projects.

StakFallT

I've been using GMS2.3 for my Metroidvania game I've been making. I was using 2.2 up until 2.3 beta became available. My feeling is, YYG is not likely they remove stuff; they spent the time, energy, manpower, resources (i.e. cost / money) to develop the parts of 2.3 that they did. I feel like they would have to have a pretty big reason internally for them to decide to remove features. I think the things you're more likely to deal with when using 2.3 is potentially either bugs or weird quirks that will eventually be hammered out. A LOT of 2.3's features are what drove me to just make the jump to 2.3 (functions & structs and nested at that -- YES!!!!). However, a lot of my code is already written. That said, I will probably still go back and rewrite some of my stuff to take advantage of the more native stuff built in now. I also think, the sooner you can write your code (ideally from the start before it's even written) to take advantage of the features, the better off you'll be. As others have said, just be ready to accept that you may encounter bugs :)

RizbIT

its a big leap from 1.4 to 2.x it takes getting used to new layout and functions. but then its quite similar (which is good).
but 2.x still has several issues.
on is you cant export from pc to mac using ios module and catalina OS..... i been told this has been addressed but when will it be given to us?