1. Hey! Guest! The 36th GMC Jam will take place between February 27th, 12:00 UTC - March 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. NOTICE: We will be applying a Xenforo update on Tuesday 25th of February. This means that from approximately 10:00 to 14:00 BST the forums will be offline (or possibly longer). Sorry for the inconvenience! Official Announcement here.

iOS Huntercraft [3D, Survival Shooter, Sandbox, RPG]

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by Rabbitco, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Rabbitco

Rabbitco Member

Then it turns out, you do not believe that the game is made with GMS.
    Then I would like to prove it. How to do it? I will gladly do it.

2. Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable Time Killer

That was not the point of why I said that. I meant if people are in any doubts, there is nothing stopping them from checking.

FallFlat likes this.
  3. Rabbitco

Rabbitco Member

I did not say this as a complaint. And not to you)
    This is for people in doubt. This game is made entirely on the GMS. And yes, this is not all the functionality of 3D in the GMS.
    I have projects that I would like to show, but later. At the moment, a lot of work with Huntercraft.
    As well as doing the transfer of the game on the GMS 2 and porting to android. 64 bits and all that)

P.S. yesterday launched the first location of the game "Forest" on Android with a stable 60 fps(via GMS2)

4. FallFlat

FallFlat Member

They wanted to see you test play the game via the debug mode in GMS. There won't be any more doubt, if you do so.

sitebender likes this.
  5. Sk8dududu

Sk8dududu Member

Everyone: "we have doubts this is made in game maker, if you do _____ it will prove it was made in game maker."
    You: "it seems you have doubts, what can I do to prove that I made this in game maker?"
    Never mind proof of GMs, I'm still unconvinced this dude isn't a robot. Lmao

BattleRifle BR55 likes this.
  6. Rabbitco

Rabbitco Member

Good day. Recorded a video of the launch of the game

7. Misty

Misty Member

I can make minecraft in game maker. Not that hard actually.

FallFlat and Kezarus like this.
  8. Samuel Venable

Thank you for that. Now everyone can stop being big stinky butt poopy pants. :)

When we have the GMC saying "This is too good to be GameMaker" something is obviously wrong with how even the community itself views GameMaker.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Kezarus, JeffJ, Roa and 1 other person like this.
  9. Misty

Misty Member

Its the same as those "Game maker cant do 3d" posts. Whenever someone says that it really just means someone doesnt understand maths and needs to blame a software for their own failures.
    I think people expect a "automatically do everything for me" button, because secretly they long to be featured in a Jim Sterling video someday.

10. GMWolf

GMWolf aka fel666

not to derail this too far but:
    people are always mistified by 3D in GM. but give me a couple hours and I could cook up a full PBR setup in GM. If i don't plan on having many moving objects I can eaven have it perform well. (Never gonna match the performance of using a graphics API directly, optimizing wherever possible.)
    Once you know 3D graphics, its really not that hard. GM has shaders just like any other decent game package.

back on the game:
    Wow that polish is great! The menus look slick, graphics and gameplay look quite nice too.
    Im rather surprised by how smoothly it seems to run on mobile! nice work! technically this looks fantastic!
    on an aestetic point of view though i feel the whole minecraft look is a bit dated, and a few of the assets look somewhat out of place.

I do like this project though because it reminds me you don't need all the fancy tech I usually spend weeks working on to make a well performing 3D game.

Keep up the great work! wishing you luck with this!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  11. Sk8dududu

Sk8dududu Member

I wasn't implying it was hard. Saying he was a robot was because he was speaking like a really bad ai that doesn't understand what anyone is saying to it.

12. Samuel Venable

I feel people are giving AI's too much credit these days...

@Rabbitco I'm super excited to download the Android version when it arrives! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this port! I'm very excited to rate 5/5 as you have been accused and pooped on so much and all because you made a spectacular game! Something is so not right about that! I can't remember if i was one of the people who did that I'll just apologise anyway because you need recognition for this awesome game! :D

13. Carloskhard

Carloskhard Member

Why did you decided to use GM for a 3D game like this? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE GM but for 3D I've always think other engines were better.
    It would be nice to hear your opinion :) Great game also, just amazing how you pushed to the limit 3d in GM!

Cpaz likes this.
  14. Roa

Roa Member

Nah, I know there are lots of users that can do quick and well with 3d and such, its just most of them are well known and don't hide in the shadows much. So I was taken back someone who I've never heard of had done it without so much as a peep outside this game. @Rabbitco very impressive and I apologize for doubting you. I wish you all the well on your project!

FallFlat likes this.
  15. Rabbitco

Rabbitco Member

Good afternoon friends. I was busy working on a new update.
    [​IMG]

As a result, the update was very large:
    - new map of Moscow
    - New Bombardment Mode
    - Optimization for iPhones 5 and 6(fixed crashes)
    - Added animals to the game
    - New skill: Crossbow Chain
    - Replaced files of the world and models to buffers(binary)
    What increased the loading speed of the game 10 (!) Times, as well as reduced the size of worlds and models files. For example, before, the landscape of the world was stored in an array that was stored in a text file.
    Now the landscape of locations is stored in a buffer, the size of which is only 64KB instead of 1600KB.
    And there are many more small things, among which are synchronization with the server, through HTTP requests, for the realization of game promotions and sales. It seems to be nothing special, but this is my first experience. And of course, finally I correctly implemented all the IAPs, and completely figured out how they work, which also makes me happy)
    New screenshots and videos, as well as a link to the game on iOS AppStore:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/huntercraft/id1456090421

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  16. Rabbitco

Rabbitco Member

Hello.
    Porting the game to Android is in full swing.
    A lot of work has been done and many elements of the game have been rewritten from scratch to optimize the game.
    Also, as I work, I gradually upgrade some points.
    For example, I bring to your attention:
    Ambient Occlusion and Animation of grass swaying in the wind.

17. kraifpatrik

kraifpatrik Member

Nice! I don't have iOS, so I can't try the game out, but based on the pics and vids it looks super polished. Good job! Waiting for the Android version :)

18. FocusedBit

FocusedBit Member

Impressive ;)

19. Rabbitco

Rabbitco Member

Some fresh news during development on android:
    Third-person view and lighting effects.

20. Repix

Repix Member

The only pity here is you decided for Minecraft as a platform (Considering the amount of MC rip-offs on the Play/Apple store). Cause those First Person Graphics are sweet as hell!

Joe Ellis and BattleRifle BR55 like this.
  21. Rabbitco

Rabbitco Member

Skeletal animation test

Zek likes this.
  22. orange451

orange451 Member

This looks quite cool ^^ Glad to see people still making 3d games in Game Maker!
    I haven't seen people use anim8or in 10 years!

23. spinout

spinout Member

This! I've wondered if iOS devices are just better at gaming processing. Something a bit laggy on Android will run smooth as butter on iOS

24. Rabbitco

Rabbitco Member

Hello.
    Porting to Android is delayed, but is in full swing.

At the expense of iOS.
    This platform really manifests itself in many moments an order of magnitude more productive than the android.
    And there are a number of points that are missing on the android, for example, freezing vertices and asynchronous loading of buffers on android do not work, unlike iOS.
    Although maybe someone will correct me, maybe it’s different for you? My tests showed just such a result.
    On the other hand, at the moment, carefully approaching optimization, the render of locations shows approximately the same number of frames per second on iOS and android (almost the same hardware on devices)
    In any case, I continue the tests, and later I will probably write an article about the difference in the performance of functions on android / ios.
    While the advantage is in iOS. What it is connected with, maybe with the YYC or Xcode compiler ...

At the expense of Minecraft style, I like the cubic style, and I also like that in this way you can implement a completely destructible location and dismemberment of characters.

P.S. Mini character, planned to be added to the game:

25. Rabbitco

Rabbitco Member

I'm testing blur at a distance.
    The implementation is quite simple - first I mix the nearest pixels of frame buffer to create blur, and in the output it multiply by the value of the scene depth buffer.
    And it looks good:

26. Rabbitco

Rabbitco Member

Wrote new shaders: wind animation (now for trees) and 3D lighting
    While at the testing stage:

27. Rabbitco

Rabbitco Member

Lighting Shader(Night) and Water Normal/Specular:

28. Ali Al - Mosawi

Ali Al - Mosawi Member

Water is very nice only specular and normal map ? It have fake reflection ?

29. Rabbitco

Rabbitco Member

Hello friends.
    Very little free time, but I took a moment to share my results.
    All this time, I was engaged in an in-depth study of shader programming and realized that with the help of shaders, you can create absolutely everything that you can imagine. And in fact, it is much easier than it seems, just freely understand matrix mathematics and a little trigonometry.
    And now, I want to demonstrate to you, the result of my work, I can even say how the game looks at the moment.
    I made the world the way I wanted to see it.
    Dynamic lighting with the change of day and night, swaying grass and blocks of leaves on trees, normal maps wherever you can imagine, to raise the visual detail of graphics, specular lighting from bright light sources, as well as soft dynamic shadows that cast from any object in the world.
    A small teaser video:

CyberTwister and RujiK like this.
  30. Rabbitco

Rabbitco Member

Some more demo videos
    Dynamic shadows, normal map and volumetric fog

CyberTwister, Bart and RujiK like this.
  31. Rabbitco

Rabbitco Member

Tests on mobile devices (Samsung S8 +)
    I want to note that there is a difference in development on Windows and mobile platforms.
    For example, some shader functions work on Windows, but categorically refuse to work on Android.
    Or matrices in a shader are transmitted through uniforms to Windows and on mobile devices in different ways too.
    Also, optimization of shaders for mobile devices needs to be approached much more painstakingly, in fact, to save every arithmetic operation. It seems that the result is not bad, but I will continue to study shaders and optimization methods.

Cpaz, eg42 and Bart like this.
  32. Misty

Misty Member

How do you get GameMaker to render all these blocks, but have it not lag?

Cpaz and SnotWaffle Studios like this.
  33. Chaser

Chaser Member

Yeah, same as this, show us the GMS IDE building this beast of a game, you like making videos, you could and should do one showing this, prove the doubters wrong. I’m sure everyone would rally and get behind your game if you could prove this games GMS status. Just on the off note, how have you managed to escape a copyright claim from Mohang/Microsoft for you characters?

CyberTwister likes this.
  34. Roa

Roa Member

lmao, the ****?? That's the easiest part in all of this? GM can push millions of polies without slow down if you do it right. The ram ceiling is more of a threat than the triangle count. Of all the things to notice, the soft shadows, the perspective correct normal mapping, seemingly material based lighting, bloom, particle effects, animation of static and mesh deformed objects, all working coherently in tandem together with no sacrifices or conflicts in GM's very limited shader use... and its the polycount that catches your eye??

CyberTwister likes this.
  35. Misty

Misty Member

GM is great at rendering static meshes. But minecraft is not a static mesh.

36. Roa

Roa Member

That's all game engines lol. Idk a single engine that doesn't make use of batching.
    Minecraft is indeed static, and not only that but makes tons of cost saving efforts like chunking, and joining facets that touch into larger ones. Or like in the old days, all the block textures were on one texture sheet.(its still like that now, it just combines all the separate textures at run time) so you only need the one material call.

its way faster to rebuild or modify a mesh every once in a while than it is to submit millions of tiny meshes that could change, but most likely wont.

Dogarooski likes this.
  37. kraifpatrik

kraifpatrik Member

There already is a video showing some of the game's code and running it from GM in post #56.

38. Chaser

Chaser Member

@kraifpatrik So there is, well there we go then, thanks for pointing that out to me. :)

@Rabbitco good for you buddy! Should i hear anyone bashing 3D games in gamemaker i will link them this, and i don't see any reason why it shouldn't/couldn't be Showcased. Kudos to you. :)

39. Rabbitco

Rabbitco Member

I welcome everyone who is interested in the project and / or this topic.
    Unfortunately, there is no time to paint details and answer your questions. Since the work on the project is very active. In the near future I will try to tell and write everything.
    I can say that the game has acquired new optimization methods and graphical improvements, which I will discuss later.
    In the meantime, I want to provide the currently available 5 locations, which have been redesigned and revised compared to the iOS version, as well as some rebuilt.
    The locations are quite large for gameplay research and complete immersion in the game.
    Also at the moment we are creating mini-locations for the new "Action" mode (fast game), where you can play with other players / bots in team battles. 4 vs 4.
    Screenshots from the map editor for HC:

Woodroad(Highway passing through a dense forest with a farm)
    [​IMG]

Detroit(Dead abandoned city teeming with the walking dead)
    [​IMG]

Factory(Old factory abandoned before the epidemic)
    [​IMG]

Moscow(One of the first cities in which the epidemic began)
    [​IMG]

China(Great Wall and adjoining ancient city in the East)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    RujiK, BlueBurn, Bart and 2 others like this.
  40. Rabbitco

Rabbitco Member

Pre-release teaser for the upcoming release of the game.

41. Misu

Misu The forum's immigrant

btw hows that android version coming along?

I find this game interesting but never followed it because it was for ios only.

42. Rabbitco

Rabbitco Member

The fact is that at first I thought to rewrite the game on GMS2, since Google Play now obliges you to have arm64 support, which GMS1.4 does not work with.
    And everything went fine until I began to intensively study shaders, after which many ideas changed and became more complicated.
    Now we plan to release the game not only on mobile platforms, but also on PC.
    The release delay of the android version is associated with this.
    Since even the iOS version now looks already outdated.

43. Rabbitco

Rabbitco Member

Preview of the new arsenal of the game:
    [​IMG]

44. woodsmoke

woodsmoke Member

Amazing work. I think it belongs in "Work in Progress" though because you are still working on it and the release is still being planned.

45. Rabbitco

Rabbitco Member

Thank you, you're right, the development is in full swing and present to you a few more screenshots of nature and the new system of dynamic sky:

Cloudy day:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Moonlight night:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overcast:
    [​IMG]

Sunset:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dogarooski, RujiK and kraifpatrik like this.
  46. Rabbitco

Rabbitco Member

As well as a short video with testing: rain, godrays and a new weapons system.

RujiK and kraifpatrik like this.
  47. Cpaz

Cpaz Member

Color me impressed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the first instance of a 3D GM game using shaders that aims head to stores.

48. Rabbitco

Rabbitco Member

Godrays testing.
    A little crookedly assembled, but the main thing is that the shader is absolutely working and in the process I will fix all the nuances:

49. Rabbitco

Rabbitco Member

A small addition:
    particle system, godrays and volumetric fog

RujiK likes this.
  50. Rabbitco

Rabbitco Member

Procedural Fragment Painting Shader
    for wounds and scratches on enemies