• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Free [HTML5] Gladiator

G

guadalcanal

Hey everyone! I've been on the GMC for years and I'm glad it has revived from it's 2 month coma. In that time I have been working on an HTML5 gaming website using Gamemaker for an engine. Gladiator is one of those games.

You are only given one weapon and there is no way for you to regenerate your hearts. You'll have to fight to the death against hordes of enemies. There are various traps which will spawn around the arena that can kill you or be used to your advantage. (Blowing up archers with landmines is always a plus)

There are three tiers of enemies to fight against, and (provided you have an account) you can earn trophies and even a spot on the high score leaderboards. So without further ado...
https://htmlhigh5.com/game.jsp?id=58
Play Gladiator Here!

Screenshots Below:

I should also mention: the game is fully mobile compatible. Hope you enjoy!
-Ian

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I wish more members would make HTML5 games, or add that as a play option when possible. HTML5 isn't right for every game, of course. But it's fine for lots of them. Anyway, I'm glad to see this one.

I didn't make an account -- just played the basic version. So I realize all the features may not be available. Also, I'm not a big fan of fighting games, but what I saw was pretty good. The intro screen was good, and the controls were explained fine. However, the arrow keys didn't seem to work, as the screen indicated. Only the WASD / Space. Not sure if that's deliberate, or an error. But having both options is always a good idea. Especially for the left-handed players when the mouse is required.

The music was a good choice for this game. Fits the theme very nicely. And I liked the swoosh sound effect of the sword.

The graphics were acceptable, but this is an area that would benefit from more work. The playing field seemed overly large and without much visual detail. And the top-down graphics weren't as visually interesting as (say) a slightly tipped viewpoint. Just a personal preference, I suppose, but I'd rather see a full character instead of just the top of his head. I realize this is a top-down game, but it's still possible to use a view that's slightly off center so part of the body is visible. The movement can still be top-down. Just a thought...

The gameplay was fairly good. Although I felt like I was spending most of my time just finding enemies to confront. It seemed like the battles were over quickly, and then there was another delay while getting to the next one. And in many cases, it seemed like all I had to do was repeatedly swipe with the sword to get the "hearts". So there wasn't much in the way of tactics. Some of the enemies, however, actually tried to attack / shoot me. So those were more fun.

All together, I'd say this is a very good start. I think more could be done with it. But I'd recommend it to others, as is. You made good use of the GMC downtime.

Conbeef

I love this. I'm currently on my phone and it works perfectly. The internet needs more games like this!!! 10/10

G

guadalcanal

..... However, the arrow keys didn't seem to work, as the screen indicated. Only the WASD / Space. Not sure if that's deliberate, or an error. ....
The graphics were acceptable, but this is an area that would benefit from more work. The playing field seemed overly large and without much visual detail. And the top-down graphics weren't as visually interesting as (say) a slightly tipped viewpoint. ...

The gameplay was fairly good. Although I felt like I was spending most of my time just finding enemies to confront. It seemed like the battles were over quickly, and then there was another delay while getting to the next one. And in many cases, it seemed like all I had to do was repeatedly swipe with the sword to get the "hearts". So there wasn't much in the way of tactics. Some of the enemies, however, actually tried to attack / shoot me. So those were more fun.

All together, I'd say this is a very good start. I think more could be done with it. But I'd recommend it to others, as is. You made good use of the GMC downtime.
Thanks for playing Chance, good to see you're still around. Thank you for informing me about the arrow keys, I will make sure to get that fixed!! Not sure how I missed that. To address your concerns about the large playing field and the large amount of time spent looking for enemies, I think I will increase the speed of the player and the enemies so there will still be room for all the traps and such but maybe the game won't be so slow. As far as the slightly tipped viewpoint I think that would be a great addition, although I'm not sure I could pull it off too smoothly... hopefully someday! ;)

@Conbeef thanks for playing man! Really glad you enjoyed it!