HTML5 HTML5 Extensions (make your own extension)

Mert

GM Version: Game Maker Studio 2 (Also works for 1.x)
Target Platform: HTML5
Requirements: Basic GML knowledge
Links: Video Playlist (outdated)
Downloads: Videos have download links in their description (Step by step example files)

Summary:
In this tutorial, I've summarised and explained how you can make your own HTML5 Extension.
There's also some information which have never been officially documented(As you'll see in the videos, "GMS_API")
Videos are short and with on screen annotations.
Hope you'll like it 🙃

Edit : I just realised that my video tutorials are outdated now. Will make a better and more efficient ones. For now, I'm taking off the videos.

Last edited:
J

jaber

those are just awesome videos… I am watching out for part 6.. big big thanks

Mert

those are just awesome videos… I am watching out for part 6.. big big thanks
I've finished the video(will edit and upload). I used a speech recognition javascript library. So I made a game in which you control your character with your voice commands.

Honestly speaking, I was speaking to my PC like "Vivaldi move left, move up, move down" 😅

Edit : Couldn't edit the video as I was super busy. I'll upload it asap.

Last edited:
J

jaber

I've finished the video(will edit and upload). I used a speech recognition javascript library. So I made a game in which you control your character with your voice commands.

Honestly speaking, I was speaking to my PC like "Vivaldi move left, move up, move down" 😅
actually I want to point to some very interesting idea or call it "a potential extesion" that is not available on marketplace.. its about integrating webRTC API with gamemaker.. so that recording from headphones is possible.. and that means voice chat for HTML games would be also possible..

cheers

Navid

Summary:
In this tutorial, I've summarised and explained how you can make your own HTML5 Extension.
There's also some information which have never been officially documented(As you'll see in the videos, "GMS_API")
Videos are short and with on screen annotations.
Hope you'll like it 🙃
Great job Mert, Thank you.
How you know about "GMS_API" when it's not documented? how to find other things like this which are not available in docs?!

Mert

Great job Mert, Thank you.
How you know about "GMS_API" when it's not documented? how to find other things like this which are not available in docs?!
By scavenging through official Yoyogames extensions. I believe there are more, these are the ones I found.
And again, I hope Yoyogames work on the extension system and improve it.

AndyCY

thanks. is it possible you can make this video public as i am working on something that requires me to use an external javascript library

Mert

thanks. is it possible you can make this video public as i am working on something that requires me to use an external javascript library
Done.
Starting from next week, I'll create new series with better audio commentary. That'll also include the new extension system.

TheWaffle

GMS_API does not seem to exist in GMS1.4 ..... Also .... A way to find what is available under GMS2+ is to export a game as HTML5 and then examine the
javascript source (be sure to beautify it and copy it to notepad++ or similar) and do a search for GMS_API. A list of exported functions will be present there. All other stuff will be obfuscated.

Since the GMS_API does not exist in GM1.4, the async option can't work. Instead, you can pass the function name to JS and have JS call that function when ready.
see also

Last edited:

superJ

any one can tell what had GMS_API been replaced with? thanks!
I am getting the error
GML:
Uncaught TypeError: [B]GMS_API.send_async_social is not a function[/B] in file http://127.0.0.1:51264/html5game/uph_Megax_Touch.js at line 3