• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

HTML5 HTML5 Build Key Press Issues On Mac

J

Joeb Rogers

Hey,

I've had a few reports trickle in from Mac users of my latest release that they can't get past the main menu screen, which is "Press 'Z' to start". My guess was this was most likely happening due to WebGL being required in the build, but these reports have been through a number of browsers including Safari, Firefox and Chrome. So unless all of their browser versions are particularly old, I would've thought it would work on at least one of them.

Whilst I think it's most likely just that they're missing WebGL, I thought it would be prudent to try and find out if there is any potential conflict that I'm missing here? The event to check before moving on is simply a 'Z Key Pressed'. Perhaps there are instead some strange Mac/WebGL conflicting things I haven't heard of either?

Any insight into the issue here would be appreciated, thanks!

chmod777

Hi,

If the browser does not support WebGL and your game requires it, then the game just never starts and shows something like "WebGL is not supported" instead.

So it's hard to say what's wrong here, you could ask your Mac users to open the browser console and check if there is any error logged in, to be sure it's really an issue related to keyboard inputs.
Also, if the game is running from an iframe, you could give the direct link to your Mac users (perhaps keyboard inputs are not correctly passed).

J

Joeb Rogers

Hmm, interesting. It's just currently being hosted on itch.io which is why I found it surprising as if it affected all mac users due to some event issue it would surely be more widespread.
I'll try self hosting the build as well to try and redirect users in the case it doesn't work for them. Very mysterious.
I appreciate the response, thanks!

chmod777

Maybe there's some JS code on the parent page that conflicts with the JS inside the iframe (GameMaker JS file), causing keyboard inputs just going nowhere, so this wouldn't be itch.io's fault.
Just my 2 cents as it's a bit mysterious, as you said.

J

Joeb Rogers

Thanks for the insight, it's certainly an interesting issue to say the least, especially as it only seems to affects macs on specific browsers.