HTML5 HTML5 - ads / analytics / saves etc

S

SVG

Just trying to gather info on HTML5 games

(please before presuming that I haven't done any research, know that I HAVE. I'm finding little to no updated support on these subjects for HTML5 games)

1.) Does HeyZap or another asset support ads in HTML5 games? If not then how can I get ads in my games for HTML5?

2.) Analytics for HTML5 games? I'm finding old posts and support on this. Game Options you can add Flurry or Google, but how to crap do you use it lol. I find no instructions anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction?

3.) File save / load types for these HTML5 games? I read that "local storage" is used for it but doesn't say what that means, is that the ini? Also is it different for different explorers?

4.) Music - Firefox and Chrome work fine but doesn't play on explorer(both 64 and 32) when testing, is there a way to get this working right?

5.) Graphics - again Firefox and Chrome change colors are just fine I'm using skeleton_animation..s from Spine and different color changes on the images are key'ed in through spine. On explorer it's showing the mesh lines lol and discoloration, also my character is partly see through, its horrible.

Any guidance on these would be MUCH appreciated, thank you!

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
1) Most block-based systems are supported by adding their <script> and ad unit <div> into game's index.html template (in HTML5 options). Not too different from adding a free-floating ad on a mobile website. Extensions can be made for video ads, but you'd have to find a system that's actually "worth it" first.
2) It's literally just analytics_event_ext and then you can stare at them on Flurry (with additional setup on that end if there are relationships between events). If it's only for tracking number of plays, you can once again add things to the template.
3) It means that you can use all the regular functions and GM writes it into browser's storage area.
4) IE (non-Edge) does not support WebAudio. You'd need need an extension (like howler.js wrapper - there are like 3 on marketplace) if you direly desire to support a browser that is unlikely to be used to play HTML5 games
5) Similarly, while IE11 finally added some sort of WebGL support, it is so partial and broken that most tools have to disregard it and revert to 2d renderer, which cannot do dynamic recoloration (for lack of features).

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
I'd add that you can now only setup an app with Flurry if you manually request it through their support system.

S

SVG

Awesome info, thank you so much!
Questions 3, 4, 5 are answered!

1.) Ads-
@YellowAfterlife
My understanding with Ads and how to implement them is virtually 0. Are there guides in GM2, tutorials, videos, anything that teaches or helps with how to do what you’re saying? This goes over head unfortunately.

2.)
@True Valhalla and @YellowAfterlife
I’m attempting to target HTML5 for pc and mobile. 2 things:
-Is the “app with flurry” referring to even HTML5 or was it referring to just the mobile exports?
-also the analytics_event_ext() says obsolete, I’m guessing I just ignore that? Also is there a guide to help set this up?

I know this is frustrating but I’ve spent money and time trying to find answers and unfortunately haven’t found all of the help I was looking for yet. Thanks for your patience.

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
-Is the “app with flurry” referring to even HTML5 or was it referring to just the mobile exports?
Why would I be talking about the other mobile exports?

If you spend a few minutes exploring Flurry you'll understand why I used the word "app" in this context. You need an app-specific Flurry ID to use the built-in analytics.

S

SVG

Why would I be talking about the other mobile exports?
Because I'm a noob and don't know anything much beyond GM2. I've learned everything through tutorials, guides, help by you guys and more. These topics of Ads and Analytics are completely new to me and was just asking because I don't know where to begin, especially how to integrate something outside GM2 with GM2, it's like I'm a child who never left his house before LOL, you might think I'm being a "smart aleck," but unfortunately I'm not :/
Didn't mean to offend or not understand, but I just don't understand much and was looking for some guidance from ppl who have experience to guide or point in the correct directions.

If you spend a few minutes exploring Flurry you'll understand why I used the word "app" in this context. You need an app-specific Flurry ID to use the built-in analytics.
I'll definitely do that, thanks for that direction.

Also you mentioned Leadbolt in your book, do you still recommend that? I'm only asking since it may have changed since it was released. Thanks!

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
My understanding with Ads and how to implement them is virtually 0. Are there guides in GM2, tutorials, videos, anything that teaches or helps with how to do what you’re saying? This goes over head unfortunately.
Setting custom index.html template (add index.html from a compiled build of your game as an included file first to have a base). For editing HTML you'd look up generic tutorials on that.
also the analytics_event_ext() says obsolete, I’m guessing I just ignore that? Also is there a guide to help set this up?
I imagine that it still works (or it wouldn't have a manual page), but if it does not, you'd write a tiny JS extension/wrapper for it
Writing JS extensions

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
Also you mentioned Leadbolt in your book, do you still recommend that?
I still recommend Leadbolt but only because it's difficult to successfully apply for Google Adsense for HTML5 Games. However, I don't use ads in any of my HTML5 games now. It's much easier to make real money with sponsorships.

S

SVG

I still recommend Leadbolt but only because it's difficult to successfully apply for Google Adsense for HTML5 Games. However, I don't use ads in any of my HTML5 games now. It's much easier to make real money with sponsorships.
Okay cool, yeah that makes total sense, thanks!

Thanks guys, this really has been a huge help so far, I appreciate the time!