• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

How you helped me learn GMS2 and create my first game during Lockdown.

A

AShei

Hello all!

I am a film-maker who was stuck in lockdown for two months due to the COVID-19 pandemic. My only prior experience with coding was using Visual Basic and Pascal at school (more than 12 years ago).

Since I was going to have A LOT of free time on my hands, I decided to learn a new "art" ...one that would be possible to do from home. So, I thought I'd give programming another go.

I did a bit of research and I found that GM had a lot of potential, but was still great for people with little to no experience.
I downloaded it and got to work.

This is what happened:

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to this community because you have been incredibly helpful in teaching me the basics of GML. Your posts here are a huge resource for people who are just starting out. I doubt I would've gone this far without you (and the people at GameMaker's subreddit) providing me with solutions whenever I was stuck.

So yeah. Thank you!!!

And stay safe!

I

iSolo

I gotta say this is very inspiring. I am also in the creative industry (as a side gig) and was thinking about learning some things I have on my bucket list during this Covid-19 era. It was interesting to see your process (even in this short video). The game looks pretty cool and I am impressed with how well you learned to write code in pretty much no time. I find it a little tough with the coding part. I have great ideas but turning them into an actual game is where it's hard for me. I need to learn how to not be terrified when I see the code and when I have to work with it.

Very well done my friend!