Windows How would I change the instance of another object in code?

A

ArcaPlaysYT

So I want one object to check if an object exists. If that object doesn’t exist, then it changes that object to another object.
This may seem confusing, I’ll try to put a code together later

samspade

Do you mean object or an instance of an object?

The first part is easy if you mean object. You can use instance_exists with the object id. You can also use instance_exists to see if an instance of an object exists but you would need the instance_id to do that.

But I don't understand the second part. How can you change a non existent thing to something else?

Here are two resources if the differences between objects and instances don't make sense:

A

ArcaPlaysYT

Do you mean object or an instance of an object?

The first part is easy if you mean object. You can use instance_exists with the object id. You can also use instance_exists to see if an instance of an object exists but you would need the instance_id to do that.

But I don't understand the second part. How can you change a non existent thing to something else?

Here are two resources if the differences between objects and instances don't make sense:
im going to have a random number generated be the number of seconds. Say if Object 1 has a character in it, and it "moves" to another "room" (Object 2).
So something like
GML:
if alarm[0] == 0 {
//change instance of Object2NoCharacter to Object2WithCharacter
}
im not sure how to do that

Edit: Im thinking the "with" construction will work

Last edited by a moderator:

Zhanghua

You can't change the instance directly.
But you can destroy the current instance and instance_create_xxx an other.

You can't change the instance directly.
Wrong. You can change an instance from being one object type to another.

To change an instance into a different object instance you would use instance_change
instance_change
So if in your example the alarm is on the object that you want to change, then you would just do something like:
GML:
instance_change(Object2WithCharacter, false);
I used false when calling instance_change as I wouldn't want the destroy/cleanup or create code to be run for the two object instances (the one being change from, and the one being changed into).

Zhanghua

To change an instance into a different object instance you would use instance_change
instance_change
So if in your example the alarm is on the object that you want to change, then you would just do something like:
GML:
I used false when calling instance_change as I wouldn't want the destroy/cleanup or create code to be run for the two object instances (the one being change from, and the one being changed into).
TKS, Got that.
I haven't use this function before.

Let's Clone

instance_change
GML:
I wonder if, in the back-end, this does the same thing as destroying the current and creating a new instance of the intended type.
Either way, I had no clue that this functionality existed. Thanks

I wonder if, in the back-end, this does the same thing as destroying the current and creating a new instance of the intended type.
Probably, however if you just did an instance_destroy/instance_create_* (depth or layer) then the destroy/cleanup and create events would all be triggered. At least using instance_change you have total control over whether these should be run or not through the second parameter of the instance_change function.

Nidoking

Also, instance_change preserves the values of the instance variables through the transition; at least, the ones that aren't reset during create and destroy events, if you execute those.