• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM How well is spine supported?

DukeSoft

Hiya,

I'm planning on using Spine for a game I'm working on, but I need to know if it can do what I need it to do. I don't want to buy spine, then find out GM doesn't support my needs.

I've tried the skeletal animation tutorial, but thats broken (there are no spine files anywhere). I've googled as well but could not find anything that is what I need.

I'm just wondering:
Can I "merge" animations and use inverse kinematics? I'd like to add it to my topdown shooter and would like to have some default animations and stances in the game. Then as you're looking around I would like the arms / body of the player to be done with inverse kinematics.

Is that possible? Or should I be looking at the physics engine and find another way to animate my sprites?

Thanks in advance.

The inverse kinematics works with merging animations, yes, and they work with multiple animation tracks as well :) From what you are writing, I think Spine will work well for you ^^

DukeSoft

HayBale,

I saw your video's indeed :) Wasn't clear if these points worked well. Thanks for your feedback, I think esoteric software now has a new customer thanks to you ^^,

HayBale,

I saw your video's indeed :) Wasn't clear if these points worked well. Thanks for your feedback, I think esoteric software now has a new customer thanks to you ^^,
You are much welcome ^^ Feel free to write me up if you need my help with anything of the matter :)

rIKmAN

Also bare in mind a Spine update has been coming "soon" for the last few months which will support more recent versions of the Spine runtimes and features such as 'Events', so it may be worth you waiting for that.

Last edited:

DukeSoft

Also bear in mind a Spine update has been coming "soon" for the last few months which will support more recent versions of the Spine runtimes and features such as 'Events', so it may be worth you waiting for that.
BlessHay already has a solution for that in the marketplace :)

DukeSoft

The inverse kinematics works with merging animations, yes, and they work with multiple animation tracks as well :) From what you are writing, I think Spine will work well for you ^^
Hey BlessHayGaming,

I was wondering - how do the inverse kinematics work? I have a top down soldier setup now, and he has some bones for arms, weapons.. How would i go about implementing inverse kinematics? Let me make a gif real quick of what i mean.

Hey BlessHayGaming,

I was wondering - how do the inverse kinematics work? I have a top down soldier setup now, and he has some bones for arms, weapons.. How would i go about implementing inverse kinematics? Let me make a gif real quick of what i mean.
I believe they have some tutorials on their site and/or on YouTube - short explanation is: The bones selected for the inverse kinematics will try to end as close to the point selected as possible :)

DukeSoft

I believe they have some tutorials on their site and/or on YouTube - short explanation is: The bones selected for the inverse kinematics will try to end as close to the point selected as possible :)
Yeah, thats inverse kinematics in spine itself.. I know they support that (the pro version or something) but I ment GM:S :p

All the functions i can see are the skeleton_state_get and set, and i can change X and Y but that moves them like the bones are not connected, no inverse kinematics there...

I think i'm going to have to use physics instead of spine... :/

Anyone thats wants a license for spine? :p

Jabbers

Yeah, that's cool and all but a native solution is always preferable for me personally.
I second this. I don't know what extension DukeSoft is talking about, but I do know that there is a glitch in the latest version of GM 1.x.x that causes black boxes and graphical distortion if you use a certain function (I think it might be the Spine attachments function). I've been stuck on an old version of Studio waiting for a fix for many months now.

rIKmAN

I second this. I don't know what extension DukeSoft is talking about, but I do know that there is a glitch in the latest version of GM 1.x.x that causes black boxes and graphical distortion if you use a certain function (I think it might be the Spine attachments function). I've been stuck on an old version of Studio waiting for a fix for many months now.
Have you tried the EA version? I think the black squares bug is fixed in that.

Yeah, thats inverse kinematics in spine itself.. I know they support that (the pro version or something) but I ment GM:S :p

All the functions i can see are the skeleton_state_get and set, and i can change X and Y but that moves them like the bones are not connected, no inverse kinematics there...

I think i'm going to have to use physics instead of spine... :/

Anyone thats wants a license for spine? :p
If you have set your skeleton to use inverse kinematics, then they will behave according to these rules when you manipulate them in GM:S as well :) You cannot, however, "create" new inverse kinematics from inside GameMaker ^^

Fern

The latest EA build, 1.99.525 fixes every Spine issue I've ever seen. It does also introduce a few new issues in my case such as the game crashing on exit and producing a 10mb dump file. Trade offs.

DukeSoft

If you have set your skeleton to use inverse kinematics, then they will behave according to these rules when you manipulate them in GM:S as well :) You cannot, however, "create" new inverse kinematics from inside GameMaker ^^
Aaah.... Then I'll have to upgrade spine to the 200 $ version I guess... Or could you maybe make a small example exported JSON with IK enabled? Then maybe I can manually put it in my sprite :)

DukeSoft

ProTip: You can't set bone data within game maker and assume spine / game maker solves the IK. The answers here are probably bound to the "IK" _inside_ of spine.