• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GML How to use Room chunking in GM Network?

Jihl

Hey there all!

I have been developing an open-world wanna be project, I asked if a game like tibia would be makeable in gamemaker and many people answered that it IS possible, but it is a really big task. I am well aware that it is a big task but I, anyways, want to know about this issue.

There is the room chunking process, in which you "simulate" a real world by changing rooms when you get to the borders, but if my server is the WHOLE world, how would I use room chunking if the server needs to interact with many players that can be gathered all around this big map? For what I know it is not possible to have more than 1 room active.

I thought about having a "grid" of servers all interconnected but that's an insane idea in terms of coding.

Any ideas, suggestions, clarifications?

Thanks ;)
Jihl

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Last year I made an asset which lets you load rooms into other rooms, which can be used for chunking, in which case you wouldn't be changing rooms at all - instead loading/unloading contents of rooms as you get closer/further away from them. The server could then just load everything (or all rooms that have at least one player in them), but you'll still have to figure out how to make this not take a toll on server's performance