• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

SOLVED How to use multiple versions of GMS2 (2.2 and 2.3 separately)

LEGOlars

Hello.
I'm working on multiple projects. One uses GMS2.2 and the others use GMS2.3. Upgrading the 2.2 project to 2.3 is not an option. How do I get both versions of GMS installed on my computer without one replacing the other?

pls help thnx very much

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
As far as i know, it is not possible to have both versions of GMS 2 on the same computer, but you can download different versions through the release notes.
Suddenly you can use a virtual machine and install the operating system, and install GMS 2 on it (but I don't recommend it).
If you participated in the beta, you could still have both versions.

chamaeleon

I seem to remember people suggesting one installation being the YYG download and one installation being Steam. I have no need for this myself and have no idea if there are any issues with this approach.

rIKmAN

I seem to remember people suggesting one installation being the YYG download and one installation being Steam. I have no need for this myself and have no idea if there are any issues with this approach.
This works but I believe they still share some data due to both versions pointing to the same file locations - not sure how problematic that is as I don't do it.

The best (and recommended) way is to use v2.2.5 and the v2.3 beta which can be installed side by side without issue (the last beta 2.3 is the same as stable 2.3).

The beta should be available on the Downloads page of your YYG account, but I'm not sure if you had to have already participated in the beta when it was active for that to appear. If so, it might be worth contacting support to see if they can help you get access to it so you can use both side-by-side.

Ricardo

I'm using 2.2.5 (YoYo) and 2.3 (Steam), no major problems. They do share some data and the biggest issue I found so far is that you have to switch runtimes manually when swiping between them.