• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Development How to Stay Motivated

Ragster

When it comes to making games, I was wondering how you all cope with procrastination, lack of interest, or anything in-between. Personally, my long-term attention span for anything--that includes playing video games, playing piano, programming, drawing, etc.--is only about a month or two, and then I'll usually move on to some other hobby. I started making my game about 5 years ago. I'll usually get really into it for about 1-2 months, and then lose interest for several months, then continue the cycle. I thought I was finally approaching a Beta release by the end of this year, but I had a dry spell yet again in the middle of the year, and now a Beta release seems a little out of reach.

I love thinking about making my game. But whenever I sit down at my computer, I end up writing a few lines of code, then decide to go play a video game. I'm starting to think I may be helpless and incapable of doing something like this for a living, but it's something I've always wanted to do and I still think I can do it, if I could just stay motivated.

Something that did help me a little was hanging a whiteboard next to my computer and making a to-do list, but it wasn't enough to keep my consistently motivated. If anyone has any remedies for laziness then I'd appreciate any help.

curato

I always work from a design document. I have all my to do things listed out. If nothing else, I try to take one thing off my list every day.

Mk.2

The top answer for this very common topic is usually to prioritize discipline over motivation. You can't expect to be motivated all the time, instead work on the ability to power through and get things done regardless of whether you feel like it or not. Obviously easier said than done, but there are plenty of resources online about how to become more disciplined in general.

The whiteboard idea is a great start, your mistake is still relying on motivation to complete the tasks. Try making a short list, let's say 3 objectives you have for that day. These must be completed no matter what, so be reasonable in what you can accomplish. Anything extra is great, but make your time revolve around these 3 tasks. They are your priority, and do not accept excuses from yourself.

EDIT: Just to emphasize, that the point is to make a list of things you can complete that day, rather than a big to-do list that you're likely to just occasionally pick at whenever you feel like it.

Last edited:
Try making a short list, let's say 3 objectives you have for that day.
I do this too, although sometimes for me the tasks I set up seem small on the surface but can sometimes take much more time than usual and result in me not being able to complete other tasks.
And in that case I mentally command myself to not see that as a failure. I just feel good that I got something done rather than nothing at all. Progress is still being made.
Because if you keep seeing everything as a failure that can lead to demotivation and burnout.

Like others are saying just keep one foot in front of the other, recognize that getting even just something small done is better than nothing at all.

Another thing I would recommend is planning out when you have your days off. Because you NEED to rest, so it's good to keep a mental note of when you will take time off.
Working everyday will lead to burnout.

Another tip I would give is to code away from where you sleep if you can. It's good for your mental state.

Obviously some of this advice won't work in a professional setting but if you are in a position where you are your own boss then you have many options of how to setup your work schedule.

As everyone else has said, I find that having a goal each day is important. Even if it's just "changing that sprite" or "commenting that system" or anything else that is non-taxing but is "progress" in some form. Of course, the actual goal should not be to just do that thing, but when you have absolutely no motivation, being able to pop into GMS, change that thing and pop out gives you a more relaxed atmosphere that ends up leading to more progress in the long run IMO, as it makes you dread opening the project less.

In literally every creative personal project, whether it's GMS, music, video making, etc, there'll come a point where you want to do absolutely anything else but that thing. It's a part of the path of creating and I think it's the main reason why not everyone is completing artistic/creative projects all the time. Learning about yourself and the different ways that are effective at pushing you over those boundaries is an important growth step in realising creative visions you have, and, unfortunately, relying on motivation alone mostly does not really work (of course, there'll be a few people out there who can do it, but most can't). Discipline and "one step in front of the other" is a more important skill to learn than motivation. There's millions of people out there who can get awesome things 50-75% completed (they are motivated), but there's far less of them that can do it to 100% (they are disciplined).

Last edited:

Ragster

I really appreciate the replies. I went ahead and drew a weekly calendar on my whiteboard so I can start doing as you all suggested.

I realize now that my to-do list was pretty unspecific. I was checking off items maybe once every two or three weeks. Hopefully dividing the items into smaller sub-items that can be completed in a day will help.

I was always scared of turning my hobbies into jobs because I thought it would ruin the fun, but from what you all are saying, I realize now it's important to think of it as a job if I want to truly be disciplined (not motivated) enough to do it.

I've been working on my FPS for years, 14 altogether, but 8 as a "career". I hope it's my ticket out of retail, but at the same time, it's also my hobby when I'm at home. Some days, I'll model entire level sections, and others, the most I may have done is shift an alpha value by 0.05. The one thing that keeps me motivated is the desire for this:

pixeltroid

When it comes to making games, I was wondering how you all cope with procrastination, lack of interest, or anything in-between. Personally, my long-term attention span for anything--that includes playing video games, playing piano, programming, drawing, etc.--is only about a month or two, and then I'll usually move on to some other hobby. I started making my game about 5 years ago. I'll usually get really into it for about 1-2 months, and then lose interest for several months, then continue the cycle. I thought I was finally approaching a Beta release by the end of this year, but I had a dry spell yet again in the middle of the year, and now a Beta release seems a little out of reach.

I love thinking about making my game. But whenever I sit down at my computer, I end up writing a few lines of code, then decide to go play a video game. I'm starting to think I may be helpless and incapable of doing something like this for a living, but it's something I've always wanted to do and I still think I can do it, if I could just stay motivated.

Something that did help me a little was hanging a whiteboard next to my computer and making a to-do list, but it wasn't enough to keep my consistently motivated. If anyone has any remedies for laziness then I'd appreciate any help.
I too get super motivated and become productive for a few months, and then lose interest for a month or two and then get back to being productive. It's not because of a lack of motivation, but because my focus and will falters from time to time.

IMO feeling motivated is an emotion. It can increase or decrease depending on outside factors. So you can't rely on motivation to get things done. Instead you need to develop an iron will and a laser focus.

Another point: approach game making as a job. It's not your fluffy pet art project, but a factory job that just needs to get done.

HayManMarc

1. You can approach it like a job and force yourself to code through discipline, as was stated above. There's absolutely no reason for you to not enjoy your time coding because of this. Enjoyment is a frame of mind that you can shape. If you don't enjoy it on a basic level, perhaps you shouldn't be doing it?

2. Using the disciplined approach, setting up a routine seems like it would be beneficial. One hour every day at a designated time, same time every day whether by the clock or around a work schedule, should increase productivity and motivation. Motivation is also increased if you restrict yourself to not exceeding that time limit. By the end of that hour, you'll usually have more you want to do. You'll be thinking about it and be excited to get back to it the next day.

3. Tiny goals are very key, as already stated. "Implement jump animation." "Create Power-up sprites." "Make menu screen mockup." Specific, attainable, tiny goals feel great when they are completed.

4. Keep a log of your work. Write down what you did during that session of coding. This will let you see your progress every time you code and help your sense of accomplishment. In turn, it should boost your confidence, thus boosting productivity and motivation.

All of these things rely on self-discipline. Seeing the fruits of your labor should help with motivation. Sometimes, motivation comes from other places as well. Some people are motivated by the hopes of money. Others could be motivated by simply just having a finished game in their portfolio. Sources of motivation will be different for everyone, since we are all individuals. You need to think about what you want out of "game development", and what you expect to receive with a finished product.

There's a LOT that goes into releasing a money-making game to the public that goes beyond writing code, so that should be considered as well.

Baby steps will get you to your destination. Before long, with determination, they can become athletic strides.

(Now, if i can follow my own advice, that would be something, indeed! Lol)

There's a LOT that goes into releasing a money-making game to the public that goes beyond writing code, so that should be considered as well.
My god is that true. I hadn't really thought about it until I started getting serious about releasing Spaceslingers, but gee whiz...I actually think taking on marketing yourself is a task equal, if not larger, than the development itself (of course, it depends on the size of the project, but still). And on top of that, it's such a completely separate skillset. It sucks, lol.

Ragster

I'll worry about publication and all that hoopla later. I really don't know how that stuff works, and I'll probably just end up leaving it in the hands of an actual publisher (if I find one that's willing).

I get so mad at myself whenever I look back and realize how much time I actually wasted not working on my game. But hopefully I can use that self-loathing to strengthen my resolve. I think I can still get my Beta released by the end of the year after reorganizing my to-do list.

I've been working on my FPS for years, 14 altogether, but 8 as a "career". I hope it's my ticket out of retail, but at the same time, it's also my hobby when I'm at home. Some days, I'll model entire level sections, and others, the most I may have done is shift an alpha value by 0.05. The one thing that keeps me motivated is the desire for this:
I like the idea of pinning a picture of my reward above my monitor. The thing is I don't really want anything specific, just to be able to make some kind of living out of game design.

I suppose some kind of expensive VR setup would be nice... 🤔

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
Know that you're fortunate enough to be in the position you are to carry on with your game. As soon as you stop.. it's over.

Jorg Gjer

Hi.
For me, it's like I'm motivated through most of the development process. When I then release a beta test and find that no people download and test my game it's so much demotivating. That has happened to me with all of my games so far. You might say that is because my games are boring, but how can people know when no one is trying. I have posted my games on many indie game forums, but for some reason, there is no response. Just 1 simple feedback is so motivating to keep working. If anyone knows of some channels to get feedback I would be very happy.

Greeting Kaizen.

PS: See my tread on my latest game on this forum.

When I then release a beta test and find that no people download and test my game it's so much demotivating. That has happened to me with all of my games so far. You might say that is because my games are boring, but how can people know when no one is trying. I have posted my games on many indie game forums, but for some reason, there is no response.
Sadly, this is the state of 90% of indie games in general, whether free or paid. There's just way too many games coming out for people to pay attention to. This is why marketing is so difficult, but also so important. The key to getting people to become interested enough in your game to try it is to have them see it multiple times. You're very unlikely to cold "sell" (by "sell" I mean "to try it regardless of if it is free or costs money") a game to someone. But maybe on the 4th or 5th "sell" attempt, when they're starting to warm up to the concept and become familiar, they might try it then.

What this boils down to is posting a thread on a gamedev forum is pretty unlikely to get downloads or feedback. Posting on reddit is pretty unlikely to get downloads or feedback. Posting on twitter, facebook, instagram, gaming forums, etc, are all unlikely to get downloads or feedback. But if you post it in enough places, with the right pitch, and a good slew of updates (as in, not spamming "bumps" or anything 💩💩💩💩ty like that, but good quality content that people will find interesting), you'll eventually start to get some feedback/supporters.

It's just extremely unlikely to happen organically. You gotta push it (cleverly, without spamming).

Zizka

Getting no feedback is a dev curse. I think you would likely get some on Early Access (steam).

I know one forum where people play other people’s games but it’s French speaking and exceptional in that aspect. You tubers will do it but for popular games which will attract views, not unknown games.

This is the only forum I know of where people will discuss game design and the conversation is scarce even here.

There’s definitely a demand for honest feedback. I’m actually considering setting up a paid service to provide feedback for games in development either in video format or written form.

Toque

Tiny goals list. Maker sure you have things you enjoy in there.

get inspired not motivated. Play other games. Look at other art Etc. Find interesting things to do. Improving yourself will make you a better game dev.

getting someone else involved and excited is infectious.

mar_cuz

To help with motivation I always try to make sure I add something new to the game every session. Sometimes we can code and code and not really add anything to the game or anything noticeable at least. Wether it is a new graphic on the gui or some new level assets to new enemies. Just anything. This helps with feeling closer to the end goal whatever it is.

Karlstens

Maybe some self-help podcasts will help? I thoroughly recommend Rich Roll, all available to listen to on Youtube. I'm listening to this one as I type;