• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

How to start in GameMaker Studio 2

Hi

I made a post where I wanted to know how to make a Turn Based RPG and I just realized that I have to keep learning Game Maker Language.

That's why, I decided to put my mindset on learning again to understand more and be able to code by myself. I'm aware that it's gonna take me a long time but I really want to improve.

So, I'd love if you tell me your experiences with Gamemaker 2. How did you learn to code?, where did you start?, how can someone practice and test their current knowledge? What are the things that I should know first?

I'm looking forward to your feedback! 🙏 ( :

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
I started with the manual. That's pretty much where I ended too.

Start with the basics - keyboard and mouse input, movement, drawing, collisions. Make simple and small self-contained experiment games where you play around with these features and see what you can create. At some point, curiosity will take over and you'll enter autopilot whenever you discover a new interesting feature and won't be able to resist trying to use it to make something new. :)

descrubb

If you want to actually make a game just get started. Don't worry about your coding skill or anything else. use DnD if you need to to get comfortable with how Game Maker events interact with the world you create.

An RPG is a big undertaking in itself, so the best thing to do is just start working on it. Little by little you'll figure out the nuances of the system. By working with DnD you'll train your brain to understand the logic of coding.

Eventually you'll need help and use the script DnD once in a while and copy paste for some magic to happen and those are the times you'll understand even more of code. If you object is to learn code, then follow tutorials online. But a day will turn into a week. a week into a month. and pretty soon you're tired of learning code. Why not just make the game you want to?

First try to make an object move...

Then make another object...
try to make it so you can't move either object unless it's that player's "turn"

Soon enough you'll figure out the assign_variable in DnD is the same as this:
GML:
example_variable = 1
It just takes getting started :)

K

KiD_Rager

Hi

I made a post where I wanted to know how to make a Turn Based RPG and I just realized that I have to keep learning Game Maker Language.

That's why, I decided to put my mindset on learning again to understand more and be able to code by myself. I'm aware that it's gonna take me a long time but I really want to improve.

So, I'd love if you tell me your experiences with Gamemaker 2. How did you learn to code?, where did you start?, how can someone practice and test their current knowledge? What are the things that I should know first?

I'm looking forward to your feedback! 🙏 ( :
Like everyone else has stated, learn something extremely simple first. I recommend following tutorials on YouTube for the most basic games and mechanics. RPG movement, collision checking, and player input are core examples. Everyone wants to shoot for the most common game type (like turn-based RPGs) without understanding how to even move a player object around properly.

Once you figured those out, I recommend trying to create your own system before attacking tutorials for the turn-based system. If you could make one in its most simplest form (doesn't need to be perfect), then when you watch the tutorial, you'll understand a bit more what each part entails and hopefully learn new things like enums, for loops, arrays/data structures, and more.

Tutorials on YT exist like:

But of course, that's just one example out of many. See what you think will work best for your game - and hey, maybe you'll modify it to your own needs! Best way to learn is through trial and error.

Good luck!

Like everyone else has stated, learn something extremely simple first. I recommend following tutorials on YouTube for the most basic games and mechanics. RPG movement, collision checking, and player input are core examples. Everyone wants to shoot for the most common game type (like turn-based RPGs) without understanding how to even move a player object around properly.

Once you figured those out, I recommend trying to create your own system before attacking tutorials for the turn-based system. If you could make one in its most simplest form (doesn't need to be perfect), then when you watch the tutorial, you'll understand a bit more what each part entails and hopefully learn new things like enums, for loops, arrays/data structures, and more.

Tutorials on YT exist like:

But of course, that's just one example out of many. See what you think will work best for your game - and hey, maybe you'll modify it to your own needs! Best way to learn is through trial and error.

Good luck!
Thanks! I will definitely watch these videos and try to understand the logic behind it.

Toque

Yeah I would start on the space rocks tutorials and just learning the basics.

she also has a 8 directional movement video that might come in handy for a rpg.

then kid_ragers suggestion.

there is a lot to learn so I would learn a little at a time.