Windows How to recover work from crashes

Discussion in 'Legacy GameMaker Community Tech Support' started by SuperArthurBros, Jun 29, 2016.

1. SuperArthurBros

SuperArthurBros Member

For years, the biggest annoyance with me while working with Game Maker 8 Pro are random crashes after using the sprite editor. It's always after closing the sprite editor, there's the chance the program will stop responding and will not return in any way. That's how I lost countless things all this time long.
    I have never heard of anyone with the same exact issue. Plus, in these cases the work is not even saved on the GB backup file to compensate.
    But when is the work ever saved on the backup files? Is it at random during work?

And what causes this crash? How can I fix this? And most important: How can I possibly recover work from it?

2. RangerX

RangerX Member

A great solution to fix it could be to upgrade to GameMaker Studio? :p
    In all seriousness, it DOES fix a shockful lot of issues and brings in tons of improvements.

3. SuperArthurBros

SuperArthurBros Member

Except that I had tons of issues trying to upgrade. :T

So, for now, I need the solution for GM8Pro.

4. RangerX

RangerX Member

You would be better off upgrading your game because you can't do nothing about GM8 crashes. And it will never get fixed because that program is not being worked on anymore by Yoyo and since a long time.
    It might sound arrogant but your only solution to stop crashing is upgrading....

5. Virtual Mage

Virtual Mage Member

Don't worry, GM:S sprite editor is casually freezing too :p at least for me.