• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker How to properly use view_surface_id?

Kaliam

Hello, I'm just looking for any information, tips or tricks when using view_surface_id. I've gone through the documentation but can't seem to get any result other than a black screen.

What I am trying to do with this function and what the documentation seems to imply you can do is draw sprites to some surfaces, and then draw them back to the application surface.

It would seem that this would work if you switched your view_surface_id to a surface, draw something, then switch the view_surface_id back to the application surface and draw the surface on the application surface. It doesn't seem to actually draw anything to the assigned surface.

Anyway if you have used this before I would love to see an example of how it is used properly.

Thanks!