• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

How to properly scale your game!

flyinian

I am developing a game for android devices and want to choose one standard resolution of 1920x1080. Now the problem is that when it runs on devices with lower resolution displays like 1280x720, 960x640 etc. it will look jagged and interpolation do nothing much to make it better. I even tried creating surface at original 1920x1080 resolution then drawing it scaled down but still jagged since it use the same scaling down script supported by gm. Is there any way to get crisp picture on lower resolution displays without using any scaling shader (Which are probably not even supported on android)?
I'd make a new post for this issue. You'll probably get better responses and help.

I recommend giving pictures, code, any graphical settings you have enabled/disabled.

global.MonitorW=display_get_width();
global.MonitorH=display_get_height(); How do i use this? what event do i put it in and how do i get it to display? Is this supposed to tell me my monitor size? Is there a better way if so because obviously not every person in the world has the same monitor size as me.

global.MonitorW=display_get_width();
global.MonitorH=display_get_height(); How do i use this? what event do i put it in and how do i get it to display? Is this supposed to tell me my monitor size? Is there a better way if so because obviously not every person in the world has the same monitor size as me.
These get the dimensions of the display used, so it changes depending on the user's monitor settings. You can put it in any event, but it probably makes sense to get it once in a create event of something like a game controller object.

A great way to test this and future questions like these is to put the code in, and then put "show_debug_message(variable_name_here);" beneath it. Then, when the variable is set, it will read out the value in the console, so you will have gotten the answer all on your own. This will help you become more self-sufficient as a programmer, and save you from having to wait for answers here. :)

These get the dimensions of the display used, so it changes depending on the user's monitor settings. You can put it in any event, but it probably makes sense to get it once in a create event of something like a game controller object.

A great way to test this and future questions like these is to put the code in, and then put "show_debug_message(variable_name_here);" beneath it. Then, when the variable is set, it will read out the value in the console, so you will have gotten the answer all on your own. This will help you become more self-sufficient as a programmer, and save you from having to wait for answers here. :)
thanks and yeah i should've had a look for the code to display it myself i just assumed since it says display at the start of the code it would display the info as it says in the code haha, but thanks :)