How to properly put your code in a Thread

EvanSki

Raccoon Jam Host
Today's guide will be about how to properly put code in your thread, I'm putting this in the programming forum because it will be easier for people who commit this crime to see it and learn how to create a thread properly.

DO NOT PUT YOUR CODE AS PLAIN TEXT
if you do you get errors like:

if (bad_at_putting_code)
{
thread = (bad;)
}

and improper spacing

DO
STEP 1:

Untitled.png
post.png
Head on over to the programming section, and slap that post thread button

STEP 2:
post code.png
Make sure to give your post a prefix that matches your post, ie if you are using 2.3
Give it a good title so people get a good idea about what your issue is, make it sort and sweet but descriptive
then in the bar go over to the three ... and select code from the drop down

STEP 3:
code.png
Make sure the Language is set to GML
and copy paste your code into the box.
feel free to always check if your code is in a code block by pressing the preview button

STEP 4:
format.png
Make sure your code is in between two CODE blocks
make sure to explain your code, we don't know your garble of if statements, but don't over do it, not everyone here is slow, after that Congratulations you can preview it as it would show, or post your new thread, Happy coding and good luck on any problems in the future!

Cheers!

Last edited:

Alexx

Today guide will be about how to properly put code in your thread, Im putting this in the programming forum because it will be easier for people who commit this crime to see it and learn how to create a thread properly

DO NOT PUT YOUR CODE AS PLAIN TEXT
if you do you get errors like:

if (bad_at_putting_code)
{
thread = (bad;)
}

and improper spacing

DO
STEP 1:
View attachment 23233
Start by pressing the "Post new thread" button as shown

STEP 2:
View attachment 23234
Now if you have code to post, please press the "Insert" option and then select "Code" from the list.

STEP 3:
View attachment 23235
Now type your code in the box, make sure its in between the two
Code:
feel free to always check by pressing the preview button

STEP 4:
[ATTACH=full]23236[/ATTACH]
make sure to explain your code, we dont know your garble of if statements, but dont over do it, not everyone here is slow, after that Congratulations you can preview it as it would show, or post your new thread, Happy coding and good luck on any problems in the future!
Also, formatting text in red makes it difficult to read.

curato

Good luck. This is one of those things like telling people to search or use the manual before posting a question, no matter how many times you say it they will do what they perceive as more convenient. This even though counter to their perception would make their life easier too.

Nidoking

If you're posting GML, you probably also want to choose GML from the "Language" drop-down. It affects things like which keywords are highlighted. I've found that when posting more than one CODE block using the Insert widget, the first one defaults to GML, but after that, they default to General Code.

Joe Ellis

If you're posting GML, you probably also want to choose GML from the "Language" drop-down. It affects things like which keywords are highlighted. I've found that when posting more than one CODE block using the Insert widget, the first one defaults to GML, but after that, they default to General Code.
I always wondered why it does that. After quite a while I thought that it might be cus of people who post several code blocks are more likely to be posting stuff that's in a another language, like c++ for extensions. But I still don't really know why it does it. I would love to have it clarified by mods(@TsukaYuriko, @Nocturne, @chance, @etc.) :D

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I always wondered why it does that. After quite a while I thought that it might be cus of people who post several code blocks are more likely to be posting stuff that's in a another language, like c++ for extensions. But I still don't really know why it does it. I would love to have it clarified by mods(@TsukaYuriko, @Nocturne, @chance, @etc.) :D
It does this because I haven't worked out how to stop it doing this. :(

Joe Ellis

Ah, well at least that's cleared up ;D I no longer have to think it's being fair to people posting alot of c++ code, it is just a bug.

EvanSki

Raccoon Jam Host
@Nocturne Should I update this post? It doesnt get a lot of use, but seeing as people are now posting in it and its finding its way back up, maybe it can be turned into an actually helpful topic?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
@Nocturne Should I update this post? It doesnt get a lot of use, but seeing as people are now posting in it and its finding its way back up, maybe it can be turned into an actually helpful topic?
Lol! Go ahead! Anything that helps future members is a good thing to me... :)