• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

SOLVED How to Port the Game on MacOS from Windows PC and is it possible?

Petrik33

Actually it's all said in the post name, but to detalize, when I set the target Mac OS as target platform and try making an executable the log tells me this:
"Configuration Problem : No Mac device found. Check your target settings."
So what do I have to do to port the game on Mac OS? I would also be happy to hear about Ubuntu.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

You need a physical mac to build for mac. It's a requirement of Apple. Some people get away with using virtual machines but I wouldnt recommend it as it could get your apple account banned if you were caught which makes it not worth it if the moral aspects of it aren't a concern to someone, at least own a physical mac for that reason. As for ubuntu VM export is already built and the gm asset compiler can build a binary blob just fine without needing an ubuntu machine and there are no legal concerns regarding that however YoYo iirc requires you to own a physical ubuntu to connect to before they will allow you to export. They have no reason to do this from what I can tell for that platform.

You could just build a game for Windows and rename data.win to game.unx and put that along with the other game audio/include/extension files in a folder called "assets" next to the ubuntu runner which is located in your GMS install directory. Although only do this if you actually own the ubuntu module to avoid breaking the EULA. Not sure if what I mentioned doing breaks the EULA so if an admin or someone could clarify that would be good to know before anyone does this.

If my understanding is correct you just need to own the ubuntu module and doing that should be ok but clarification would be better to have beforehand.

Also native extensions aren't guaranteed to work. They need to be built as a Linux *.so library that is compatible with the correct version of Ubuntu and you need whatever packages it depends on installed on the target machine which if you don't have ubuntu you'd be relying on other people to test these sort of things which is not recommended. Also the ubuntu export might have bugs with your project, regardless of whether you use extensions so owning an ubuntu is probably better.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sam (Deleted User)

Thank you guys, it's actually very sad, now I have to look up someone with Macs and Linux's.
Note it breaks the EULA to give your project to people for the sole purpose of compiling it to a new platform unless both you and they have the required export module legally purchased and activated. (I.e. in the case of mac some people use Creator's edition which can expire). I'm not sure if the same rules apply to games that are open source, that is something I'd run by an admin. They will be using their own mac developer account so they'll be paying for your app to be easily distributable, and if they stop paying for app developer program the app will no longer be code signed for easier distribution. There are ways around this but I think it's been asked of me to not share here those workarounds regarding apps that arent code signed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Petrik33

Note it breaks the EULA to give your project to people for the sole purpose of compiling it to a new platform unless both you and they have the required export module legally purchased and activated. (I.e. in the case of mac some people use Creator's edition which can expire). I'm not sure if the same rules apply to games that are open source, that is something I'd run by an admin. They will be using their own mac developer account so they'll be paying for your app to be easily distributable, and if they stop paying for app developer program the app will no longer be code signed for easier distribution. There are ways around this but I think it's been asked of me to not share here those workarounds regarding apps that arent code signed.
Okay, I guess in this case I just have to leave it only for Windows platform yes?

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Okay, I guess in this case I just have to leave it only for Windows platform yes?
That is correct. If you do it on other platforms you dont own the physical device for but do have the module just check with Nocturne or the YoYo helpdesk on what are the correct ways to go about it to avoid problems.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Just buy a cheap second hand Mac of 50€ , that is what many developers do
And that is also what many low-budget developers get burned on.

Devices that cheap tend to be that way because their OS support has dropped off a cliff or will soon be. With Apple devices, this kind of drop is often a workable compromise for civilians, but a deal-breaker for developers. You will soon find yourself unable to keep your products on the shelves because the store demands a recent enough version of XCode, which also requires a recent enough version of Mac OS.

For iOS and Mac development, the most affordable option is a Mac Mini. Since you recommended buying second-hand/refurbished, let's shop around and see how well your advice holds up. Here are my first 3 Google results for "mac mini refurbished":
The price point of $500 that you recommended (I assume you missed a 0) is where I take the most issue with. See how those "deals" offer 2012 and even 2010 models? Go for those, and you'll be screwed in a month or two's time. Big Sur, the upcoming version of Mac OS, requires at least a 2014 model.

Mobile devices are even more prone to this kind of issue than desktop devices. I made a similar mistake myself in 2016 by bidding for an iPod Touch (4th Generation), which GMS 1 stopped supporting just about a week after I received it. XCode 8, which was then the latest version, cut off the iOS version and no longer compiled to it. In 2018 I made the mistake again by purchasing an iPhone 6 on discount. iOS 13 cut the cord on it less than a year after I made the purchase. The $250 that has gone into both of these write-offs could have gone toward a device lasting much longer in battle.

So please, before you go for "deals" like those, always be mindful of official OS support drop-dead dates. You can easily waste more money than you save by churning second-rate devices that expire too soon for development use.

Petrik33

And that is also what many low-budget developers get burned on.

Devices that cheap tend to be that way because their OS support has dropped off a cliff or will soon be. With Apple devices, this kind of drop is often a workable compromise for civilians, but a deal-breaker for developers. You will soon find yourself unable to keep your products on the shelves because the store demands a recent enough version of XCode, which also requires a recent enough version of Mac OS.

For iOS and Mac development, the most affordable option is a Mac Mini. Since you recommended buying second-hand/refurbished, let's shop around and see how well your advice holds up. Here are my first 3 Google results for "mac mini refurbished":
The price point of $500 that you recommended (I assume you missed a 0) is where I take the most issue with. See how those "deals" offer 2012 and even 2010 models? Go for those, and you'll be screwed in a month or two's time. Big Sur, the upcoming version of Mac OS, requires at least a 2014 model.

Mobile devices are even more prone to this kind of issue than desktop devices. I made a similar mistake myself in 2016 by bidding for an iPod Touch (4th Generation), which GMS 1 stopped supporting just about a week after I received it. XCode 8, which was then the latest version, cut off the iOS version and no longer compiled to it. In 2018 I made the mistake again by purchasing an iPhone 6 on discount. iOS 13 cut the cord on it less than a year after I made the purchase. The $250 that has gone into both of these write-offs could have gone toward a device lasting much longer in battle.

So please, before you go for "deals" like those, always be mindful of official OS support drop-dead dates. You can easily waste more money than you save by churning second-rate devices that expire too soon for development use.
Big thank you for such a useful advice