How to PM a user the PROPER way!

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
This is posted in fun, but Yes we need a real guide on this.

>

Today I will show you how to private Message (PM) another user, as It would seem a lot of people have this issue (ie: posting on profiles as a public status update instead of contacting the user via PM).
  1. Find a user you wish to yell at message. I'll be using User as an example.Pic_1.jpg
  2. Click start a Conversation.Pic_2.jpg
There you go, just click start conversation to have a lovely talk with the person who hasn't messed you back even though you were so nice i mean like come on who just leaves people on read anymore like seriously!

MOD EDIT: Please note that contacting a member personally to ask programming or tech support questions of any kind is against the rules unless that user has explicitly stated that they should be contacted. ;)

3/2/2020: Updated the pictures for the new website Theme
4/30/21: Edited some text to fit better with the topic

Last edited:
M

Misu

I dont think a lot of people have this issue. I think the real issue is people prefering the profile board for asking important things instead of PMing them.

M

Misu

You think... Ive lurked in this forum for long enough to recognize peoples actions. People not knowing there is a PM system is a thing to find also but not the only factor. Most commonly people are not elaborative on their actions and tend to post sooner into other peoples walls as lack of effort on contacting people. What they not aware of is that those messages can be seen thru the main page. For those who are aware of it would obviously PM them instead. Not knowing the difference between PMing and posting on profile board is a common mistake. :p

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Is this topic some sort of satire?

I don't have a problem with people not knowing how to get to the PM system. I have a problem with people knowing how to get to the PM system, but flagrantly flouting standard GMC protocol and sometimes even obvious messaging etiquette that is not unique to the GMC.

Suggesting that I or any other GMC member would become a "future fan" just because I receive a PM is downright irresponsible and presumptive. You will NOT believe how many times I've been annoyed over the years by people stupid enough to buy into that belief, that they could write just any crap on a PM and I would start giving a crap about them. Respect is a privilege, not a right. Nobody earns mine by writing like a 10-year-old, addressing me like a tool, or using PMs as a replacement for waiting for their turn on the Q&A sections.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Is this topic some sort of satire?

I don't have a problem with people not knowing how to get to the PM system. I have a problem with people knowing how to get to the PM system, but flagrantly flouting standard GMC protocol and sometimes even obvious messaging etiquette that is not unique to the GMC.

Suggesting that I or any other GMC member would become a "future fan" just because I receive a PM is downright irresponsible and presumptive. You will NOT believe how many times I've been annoyed over the years by people stupid enough to buy into that belief, that they could write just any crap on a PM and I would start giving a crap about them. Respect is a privilege, not a right. Nobody earns mine by writing like a 10-year-old, addressing me like a tool, or using PMs as a replacement for waiting for their turn on the Q&A sections.
R/whoosh

M

Misu

Just notice the title change. If this is a prank then you are just creating a pointless thread (although it does look reasonable). But of course, there is always gonna be a chance to have couple of people debating in the topic whether serious or not.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Just notice the title change. If this is a prank then you are just creating a pointless thread (although it does look reasonable). But of course, there is always gonna be a chance to have couple of people debating in the topic whether serious or not.
My main purpose of this thread is I guess in a joking manner explain a simple concept of the forum, Could others explain it better? Yes of course, In fact I want someone to create a long and detailed official way to explain how to PM, In all honesty Its a really simple thing to do, Instructions are pretty simple to follow as well, but yes like I said I hope this strikes conversation over the usage/creation of an official tutorial on how to pm

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
People posting embarassing stuff in public just harms themselves more than whoever they're stalking, since the evidence is now available for EVERYONE to see and judge. Not sure what the problem you're trying to solve here is :p
To avoid people publicly announcing that sometimes they come

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Misu

My main purpose of this thread is I guess in a joking manner explain a simple concept of the forum, Could others explain it better? Yes of course, In fact I want someone to create a long and detailed official way to explain how to PM, In all honesty Its a really simple thing to do, Instructions are pretty simple to follow as well, but yes like I said I hope this strikes conversation over the usage/creation of an official tutorial on how to pm
If you want for the community to provide a good topic on establishing a proper usage of performing private messages then you should not create a joke thread for that. Proper way is to contact an admin for suggestions or start a much formal thread that establishes your points seriously. Anyway, hopefully you understand by now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I might be responsible for that... :x
Tsk, tsk, go and sit in the corner for an hour and think about what you've done!

I would like to say I take full responsibility for any/all wrong doing I have unknowingly done and apologize for it.
No harm done, and there is no real harm in this topic. I've edited it a little to give it some validity again (as really, this does happen and so it's worth discussing, even if it is in a lighthearted way...).

Last edited:

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
And since nobody has pointed this out yet...

(unless it is Russian or something)
priv·et
/ˈprivit/
noun
  1. a shrub of the olive family, with small white heavily scented flowers and poisonous black berries.

Kenshiro

Also, remember to take it easy, guys. Some people posting on forums are literal children or teenagers. A 10 year old could search online "how to make games" and end up making an account here. They could genuinely not know some etiquette, and it is okay to teach them the proper way to communicate, what is public or not, etc.
If someone posting something private in your profile, it might be a good idea to link to this thread.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Also, remember to take it easy, guys. Some people posting on forums are literal children or teenagers. A 10 year old could search online "how to make games" and end up making an account here. They could genuinely not know some etiquette, and it is okay to teach them the proper way to communicate, what is public or not, etc.
If someone posting something private in your profile, it might be a good idea to link to this thread.
HI my names evan, Youll see me alot around the form

Edit: my personality has changed a lot since then and I have matured more, this was funny the year it was made but now I find it more of an annoyance then a joke

Last edited:
This got really philosophical real fast. Everyone is going to display themselves in different ways all the time. There is no solution to this. If I have learned anything during my time on this earth is that you can't change overall human behavior with logic. That's just illogical, Right?

otterZ

The weirdest message I ever got, not on a forum - in real life . . . was a Christmas present sent to me by post when I was about 19 years old - it was a circular present wrapped in beautiful Christmas wrapping paper. There was a note attached saying "Thank you for leaving me in the rain and breaking my heart! I ran home and I lost a shoe along the way!"

My girlfriend, now my wife, gave me a proper grilling about that. Although I never recal meeting anyone, especially in any kind of romantic manner, and I certainly don't even remember even going out around that time. But my future wife insisted we open the present before Christmas to see what this was all about. I opened the present slowly as I didn't know whether it was a stalker sending me a body part of some kind of explosive device.

We opened it tentatively and it was a gone off pizza base.

To this day, years later I don't know what that was even about?

The weirdest message I ever got, not on a forum - in real life . . . was a Christmas present sent to me by post when I was about 19 years old - it was a circular present wrapped in beautiful Christmas wrapping paper. There was a note attached saying "Thank you for leaving me in the rain and breaking my heart! I ran home and I lost a shoe along the way!"

My girlfriend, now my wife, gave me a proper grilling about that. Although I never recal meeting anyone, especially in any kind of romantic manner, and I certainly don't even remember even going out around that time. But my future wife insisted we open the present before Christmas to see what this was all about. I opened the present slowly as I didn't know whether it was a stalker sending me a body part of some kind of explosive device.

We opened it tentatively and it was a gone off pizza base.

To this day, years later I don't know what that was even about?
Maybe your girlfriend was baiting a reaction to see if there actually was anyone else on the side.