How to PM a user the PROPER way!

Discussion in 'Community Chat' started by EvanSki, Dec 19, 2018.

1. EvanSki

EvanSki King of Raccoons

This is posted in fun, but Yes we need a real guide on this.

>

Today I will show you how to private Message (PM) another user, as It would seem a lot of people have this issue (ie: posting on profiles as a public status update instead of contacting the user via PM).
    1. Find a user you wish to politely stalk. I'll be using ̷̩̬̉̍͝ ̸͈̆ ̷̗̰͙͋͒ ̸̣̈́̔ ̶̢̣͍̂͑ as an example. example.png
    2. Click start a Conversation.
    3. pleasehelpme.png
    There you go, just click start conversation to have a lovely talk with your future fan!

MOD EDIT: Please note that contacting a member personally to ask programming or tech support questions of any kind is against the rules unless that user has explicitly stated that they should be contacted. ;)

EVAN EDIT: I really hope @Nocturne didnt notice that I used his info page just I blocked it out in ms paint

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  2. Misu

Misu The forum's immigrant

I dont think a lot of people have this issue. I think the real issue is people prefering the profile board for asking important things instead of PMing them.

Yal and EvanSki like this.
  3. wadaltmon

wadaltmon Member

I disagree. I think people just post on others' profiles because they don't know the PM function exists at all.

fireday2 and RichHopefulComposer like this.
  4. Misu

You think... Ive lurked in this forum for long enough to recognize peoples actions. People not knowing there is a PM system is a thing to find also but not the only factor. Most commonly people are not elaborative on their actions and tend to post sooner into other peoples walls as lack of effort on contacting people. What they not aware of is that those messages can be seen thru the main page. For those who are aware of it would obviously PM them instead. Not knowing the difference between PMing and posting on profile board is a common mistake. :p

Nocturne likes this.
  5. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

People posting embarassing stuff in public just harms themselves more than whoever they're stalking, since the evidence is now available for EVERYONE to see and judge. Not sure what the problem you're trying to solve here is :p

6. JeffJ

JeffJ Member

Plus, it's simply just the greatest entertainment watching people posting creepy **** on other people's profiles, blissfully unaware that everyone is watching.

7. FrostyCat

FrostyCat Member

Is this topic some sort of satire?

I don't have a problem with people not knowing how to get to the PM system. I have a problem with people knowing how to get to the PM system, but flagrantly flouting standard GMC protocol and sometimes even obvious messaging etiquette that is not unique to the GMC.

Suggesting that I or any other GMC member would become a "future fan" just because I receive a PM is downright irresponsible and presumptive. You will NOT believe how many times I've been annoyed over the years by people stupid enough to buy into that belief, that they could write just any crap on a PM and I would start giving a crap about them. Respect is a privilege, not a right. Nobody earns mine by writing like a 10-year-old, addressing me like a tool, or using PMs as a replacement for waiting for their turn on the Q&A sections.

Nocturne likes this.
  8. EvanSki

EvanSki King of Raccoons

R/whoosh

9. Greenhawk

Greenhawk Threatuna Agent

Well alright then. This was interesting o_O

EvanSki likes this.
  10. Misu

Just notice the title change. If this is a prank then you are just creating a pointless thread (although it does look reasonable). But of course, there is always gonna be a chance to have couple of people debating in the topic whether serious or not.

11. EvanSki

EvanSki King of Raccoons

My main purpose of this thread is I guess in a joking manner explain a simple concept of the forum, Could others explain it better? Yes of course, In fact I want someone to create a long and detailed official way to explain how to PM, In all honesty Its a really simple thing to do, Instructions are pretty simple to follow as well, but yes like I said I hope this strikes conversation over the usage/creation of an official tutorial on how to pm

12. TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko Q&A Spawn Camper Forum Staff Moderator

I might be responsible for that... :x
    https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?members/evan-malinowski.28930/#profile-post-27440

To avoid people publicly announcing that sometimes they come

Yal and EvanSki like this.
  13. EvanSki

EvanSki King of Raccoons

Lonewolff likes this.
  14. Misu

If you want for the community to provide a good topic on establishing a proper usage of performing private messages then you should not create a joke thread for that. Proper way is to contact an admin for suggestions or start a much formal thread that establishes your points seriously. Anyway, hopefully you understand by now.

ParodyKnaveBob and Nocturne like this.
  15. Bearman_18

Bearman_18 Member

r/foundthemobileuser

johnwo, ParodyKnaveBob and Nocturne like this.
  16. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

Tsk, tsk, go and sit in the corner for an hour and think about what you've done!

No harm done, and there is no real harm in this topic. I've edited it a little to give it some validity again (as really, this does happen and so it's worth discussing, even if it is in a lighthearted way...).

17. EvanSki

EvanSki King of Raccoons

No! My Pc has failed me!

Bearman_18 likes this.
  18. Misty

Misty Member

Is this Cantavada's alt account and did he get banned?

EvanSki likes this.
  19. Cantavanda

Cantavanda 〜Flower Prince〜

As epic and funny as this topic is, this is not me, I just got restricted, not banned.

EvanSki and Nocturne like this.
  20. SamSam

SamSam Member

Hi, my name is SamSam and I understand this PM topic perfectly well.

21. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

Also, since nobody has pointed this out yet...
    upload_2019-1-1_20-31-25.png
    *you're
    *to

22. Lonewolff

Lonewolff Member

And since nobody has pointed this out yet...

(unless it is Russian or something)

23. EvanSki

EvanSki King of Raccoons

priv·et
    /ˈprivit/
    noun
    1. a shrub of the olive family, with small white heavily scented flowers and poisonous black berries.

24. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

I spent a lot of time in privets in my Uni days on the walk home from the pub.

I got really scratched up but I always smelled nice.

Samuel Venable and Lonewolff like this.
  25. Lonewolff

Lonewolff Member

I guess that's a nice gesture, offering flowers when sending someone a message. Very lovely of you.

ParodyKnaveBob and EvanSki like this.
  26. 00.Archer

00.Archer Member

Also, remember to take it easy, guys. Some people posting on forums are literal children or teenagers. A 10 year old could search online "how to make games" and end up making an account here. They could genuinely not know some etiquette, and it is okay to teach them the proper way to communicate, what is public or not, etc.
    If someone posting something private in your profile, it might be a good idea to link to this thread.

27. EvanSki

EvanSki King of Raccoons

HI my names evan, Youll see me alot around the form

28. 00.Archer

00.Archer Member

That's cute. Have you ever seen kids posting "Thread locked" in a thread, not realizing only mods could lock them?

29. EvanSki

EvanSki King of Raccoons