GM:S 1.4 How to not spread view all over the display in 3D

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Vikom, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Vikom

Vikom Member

Hi!
    I'm working on a 3d editor for my game. Since it needs toolbars, I think it is a good idea to not draw the view under the toolbars and menus.
    To offset it from [0, 0] was easy using view_xport and view_yport.
    The problem is, I struggle at lowering the width and height of the view. (read: make the view narrower, lower and leave bars of black around its right and bottom side, like on the left side in the image) The view_wport and view_hport do nothing significant.

I'll be grateful for your help.
    PS: the view settings sould be setted up properly.

Attached Files:

2. BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55 Member

Either use ortho projections after everything "3D" or use the Draw GUI event.

3. Vikom

Vikom Member

Thank you.
    Ortho? Sounds already like more trouble than benefit. I'll probably leave this idea and simply cover the view by GUI, as originally planned.

4. flyingsaucerinvasion

flyingsaucerinvasion Member

My advice would be to draw your 3d stuff onto a surface and then to draw the surface where your 3d view port should be located. It is much more straightforward than using multiple views. For one, you don't have to worry about what the current view is when drawing. So the idea here would be to set the surface as the target, set the view and projection, and then draw your 3d stuff. Then after resetting the surface target, draw the surface either with an orthographic projection or in the gui event. If you intend for there to be transparent areas in your surface, you will need to use pre-multiplied alpha when drawing to it. However, if you intend to draw partially-transparent things onto a fully opaque surface, then you need to either use pre-multiplied alpha or else you need to turn off writing to the alpha channel.