1. Hey! Guest! The 32nd GMC Jam will take place between Feb 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and Feb 25th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

GM:S 1.4 How to make the third person camera not to clip the walls ?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by hijong park, Feb 11, 2019.

1. hijong park

hijong park Member

[​IMG]

I'm making a basic Wolfenstein 3D style shooter to practice 3D. But Since I prefer Third person view over FPV for less motion sicknesses and wider view, I'm trying to make it as a third person shooter.

Making Third person camera and Displaying my character was not hard, but there's a problem.

When there is a wall behind the player, the camera clips through it and I can't see anything.
    How to make the camera to move closer to ther player when there's a wall behind, like many other TPS does ? I searched other 3D tutorials but couldn't find the solution about this.

2. FrostyCat

FrostyCat Member

Cast a ray backwards from the player and solve for a ray-plane collision. If there is a collision, place the camera just before the collision, otherwise place it as far as the default permits. If your game is played over a 2D plane, a script like this plus lengthdir_x() and lengthdir_y() should suffice.

Binsk and Bayesian like this.
  3. hijong park

hijong park Member

Thanks, It works. I didn't use the scripts you mentioned but got a hint from your comment and tried a different method.