• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows How to Make Persistent Stats for an Online Multiplayer Game

J

Joe Mahma

What's up, everyone?

I'm building a simple online multiplayer, and I'd like to have persistent stats for players.

I assume this would have to be stored elsewhere, but where and how?

And how do you code it?

Are there any examples out there or threads that nail these questions? I've been looking but haven't found anything particularly useful.

Thank you.

flyinian

What's up, everyone?

I'm building a simple online multiplayer, and I'd like to have persistent stats for players.

I assume this would have to be stored elsewhere, but where and how?

And how do you code it?

Are there any examples out there or threads that nail these questions? I've been looking but haven't found anything particularly useful.

Thank you.
I'm not 100% certain but, I'd say you'll need a server and you'll probably save everything on said server. You can either use global variables for certain stats or you could use persistent objects with the inheritance system. If its just a local co-op then you could just save the data/stats to the host's computer.

Hopefully, this give you something to work with until someone else with more knowledge on multiplayer comes by and replies.

NightFrost

For a multiplayer online design that works like MMOs do (offline persistence) you'll need a central server with 24/7 uptime. It acts as the sole authoritative source of information / gamestate. Your connecting client programs do not make decisions, they only inform the server of player action and all critical decisionmaking is made by the server based only on the data present on the server.