Legacy GM How to make cool death effect? [Read description]

W

Whirlpoolio

Hey!
I'm making a game where you have to dash around and kill enemies. I want it to be fast-paced and action-packed so I need some cool effects. Firstly I need it so when you kill an enemy a RGB split effect happens for 1/2 a second. Then I need it to zoom in and out quickly once to make it like any other fast-paced game. Then I want it so when an enemy dies, a cool particle effect happens.
I think what I'm trying to recreate is on YouTube. By imoz or something and they made it with game maker. I can't remember it clearly but I think is is a tribute to 1999 or rogue like game. If you know what I mean then please tell me the link.
The reason why I don't have any code is because I don't know where to start.
Any help is appreciated!

For the camera zoom effect, use view position and size.
If you reduce the size of the camera but keep the view port as large as the application, it will look like zooming in.
If you think you need to learn more about views, try this tutorial:

For the particle effect ...well use particles.
If you think you need more to learn more about particles, try this tutorial:

For the RGB split, use a RGB split or chromatic aberration shader and pass the split length as a uniform.
There's shaders on the marketplace for this effect.
I also started a tutorial series on shaders last week, and I plan to add some RGB split or chromatic aberration tutorial, but I'm not there yet for another few weeks.
If you're interested in the tutorial anyways, there's a link in my signature.

And finally you'll want to ease/tween the effects.
Of course if you need help with that, there's more tutorial available. Like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7wAPgl1JVvVJabcmRyEwg8k9rFxCRU9x

Hope that gives you a good starting point.