• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker how to make change only part of an objects alpha in a collision?

M

marz

i'm trying to make a space rocks game where when the level changes all of the rocks turn rainbow from the centre of the screen.

the way i thought of doing this is to have two objects that take up the entire screen, the bottom one being white most of the time, and playing a rainbow animation when the level is completed, and the top black one covering the rainbow object most of the time. then i would have transparent rocks that when touching the black would make the pixels of black it touched turn transparent so it appeared that the rainbow object was the rocks. that way when the level changed the inside of the rocks would turn rainbow. only this would require making parts of the black object transparent but not all of it, which i don't know how to do.

if anyone can think of a way to do this? or better method to get the same effect that doesn't require me sitting for hours placing individual pixels of black and ruining my processing speed. thank you!