• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

how to make backgrounds, and they look good in different mobile displays?

Hello every one, I have tried to add a background for my portrait mobile game, the game room is 1080x1920 but this rooms changes deppending on the mobile device, the problem is, when I add the background to the game it stays in 1080x1920 , and this doesnt fit for some devices, how can I make the background to fit all the devices and still looking good? thanks :D

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Can you mention the specific details of this problem? For example, does this problem occur when the display is longer vertically, and the background looks cropped?

1611150756685.png

And what do you mean when you say "the room changes depending on the mobile device"? Are you changing the size of the room depending on the size of the mobile device? In that case I'd recommend scaling the view/camera instead, as that will keep your room backgrounds intact but crop the view to fit the new aspect ratio.

Can you mention the specific details of this problem? For example, does this problem occur when the display is longer vertically, and the background looks cropped?

View attachment 37228

And what do you mean when you say "the room changes depending on the mobile device"? Are you changing the size of the room depending on the size of the mobile device? In that case I'd recommend scaling the view/camera instead, as that will keep your room backgrounds intact but crop the view to fit the new aspect ratio.
I mentioned the game is in portrait mode,when I say that the room changes depending on the mobile device, I mean that the game adjust itselft to the ratio of the device, but the background stay teh same size.

the problem occurs when I have a non repeatable background, for example a landscape in portrait mode. when I add the background to the game it has a permanet width and height.

for example, my default resolution is 1080x1920, and the background that I add is the same, when I try to play the game in a mobile device that has a different resolution, for example 1080x2400 all the game changes to fit that resolution
but the background will stay at 1080x 1920, and a big black bar will appear in the botton of the game.

How can I make the Background changes it`s resolution depending on the mobile device?