• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

How to make a map that that 'opens up' as you go ?

Fredrik

Hey!
I'm wondering if anyone wanna help me with making a map for a dungeon crawler which opens up more and more as you go through the level (see images for example).
I think I have some understanding on how to do some of it, but I'm not quite sure.

How I think I'd do it would be to draw the map background, then have the map drawn as a separate sprite on top of it, and then the map background drawn on top of that again and then have the player cursor "brush/erase" out the map drawn on top to partially show the parts of the map you've been to. But im not sure how to do this :/

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Look up "Fog of War" techniques, as this is similar to what you are doing. I personally would go about it using surfaces. You can either draw the whole thing, and then draw the "cover" of it as rendered with a surface to block out parts you have been(and therefore not block those)...or the other way around, drawing the background, and then drawing the whole map, but with alpha bits based on where you have been. You can draw circles to a surface to indicate where you have been in either case. There are a pretty good amount of tutorials on the subject, now that you know what to look for maybe you can find what you need.

woods

uncovering the fog of war...

something like..
draw the map on your surface..
have another surface on top of that..
set the alpha of the upper layer in a radius from the player..

(i havnt worked with surfaces yet ..but i hear alot about them here on the forums)

edit: i'm too slow ;o)