Graphics how to make a good walk cycle?

G

GPG

hi! i am almost finished with the animations for the player in my game. except one, the walking animation! i have tried for hours to make one that looks good, but i am still an amature at pixel art! if anybody can help me out that will be highly appreciated, i will credit you in the games credits. Platformer player 1.png Platformer player 1.png

I probably spent twenty solid hours on doing walk cycles for my game so far. That's after drawing on an off almost my entire life. Have you tried that? (examples here: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...thread-is-preparing-its-special-attack.36279/)

No easy answers, unfortunately. Go look at a bunch of examples, figure out how they work, and then try your own. Realize your walk cycle sucks, and then repeat ten times. Then you'll probably have something pretty decent, haha! X'D

The Animator's Survival Kit is a great book. Pixelation.org is a great pixel art forum. Sakugabooru has plenty of amazing animation references. YouTube has video reference of walks for artists. You can also just take a video of yourself walking.

So there's your answer! Study very hard, and keep trying. This really should take you a week of working hard four hours a day before you get something good. Or more! Realize that, and don't get discouraged. It takes a LOT of time and repetition to force your brain to understand drawing and animation. Try to work with full focus and to enjoy the process. Don't rush.

Work hard, and good luck!

Last edited:
G

GPG

I probably spent twenty solid hours on doing walk cycles for my game so far. That's after drawing on an off almost my entire life. Have you tried that? (examples here: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...thread-is-preparing-its-special-attack.36279/)

No easy answers, unfortunately. Go look at a bunch of examples, figure out how they work, and then try your own. Realize your walk cycle sucks, and then repeat ten times. Then you'll probably have something pretty decent, haha! X'D

The Animator's Survival Kit is a great book. Pixelation.org is a great pixel art forum. Sakugabooru has plenty of amazing animation references. YouTube has video reference of walks for artists. You can also just take a video of yourself walking.

So there's your answer! Study very hard, and keep trying. This really should take you a week of working hard four hours a day before you get something good. Or more! Realize that, and don't get discouraged. It takes a LOT of time and repetition to force your brain to understand drawing and animation. Try to work with full focus and to enjoy the process. Don't rush.

Work hard, and good luck!
thanks! i will cheack those things out!

No problem! Making videos of myself was probably the most useful thing for me. Try to imagine each key pose of your walk while you walk, and then watch the video you come up with. The Animator's Survival Kit is also something you should read asap. Good luck. =)

hogwater

Contact, down, passing, up. Draw contact, then passing, then down and up.

Just search Preston Blair walk cycles and use that as reference.

hippyman

This is always my go to reference for every walk cycle I've ever made. It's a solid reference image.

walk cycle reference image

I just looked up Preston Blair walk cycles those are really good too! Even better since there are references for several different types of walking/running/etc.