• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GML Visual how to make a game who is a Platformer AND a RPG?

sans17

Hi, I'm trying to make a game in the style of Mario and Luigi: Bowser's inside story. I want to make movement like in a RPG where you can go left, right, up and down, but you can also jump like in a platformer game. I'm only able to do RPG-style movement or platformer-style movement, I'm not able to put the two games style together. Also, I use the Drag and Drop function, not the GML function. So if it's possible, does someone can tell me how to do this with the drag and drop function please? (Sorry if I made spelling mistakes, English is not my native language.)

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Are you referring to making an isometric game, similar to the Super Mario RPG?

To make the jump, you will have to use the Y axis of the object (player) to simulate the jump, to make the shadow, you can make the shadow scale decrease by jumping to give the feeling that you are jumping. You draw the shadow with a depth greater than that of the player, which is behind the player.

You will not use solid objects to "stay" on the ground, just make sure that the Y does not exceed the initial value of the jump after the jump. For example, when jumping, you can create a variable with the current Y and move the Y upwards, so it returns smoothly to the starting position. The movements are diagonal, so keep that in mind.

To make the player fight with the NPC's, you can save the information from the current room and then switch to the battle room, fight with them, save the variables obtained (such as damage, if you killed enemies...) and when you return to the room you was in, you get these variables.

AnotherHero

Are you thinking like the Mario & Luigi RPG's?

You would have to create a sort of "virtual Z" axis for jumping, and assign different tiles different virtual Z heights.

I came across this video my the awesome Matharoo:
While his video uses GML, you'll get an idea of the logic you can translate to D&D :)