GMS 2 How to make a Boss Battle like this?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Gogo i Ana, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Gogo i Ana

Gogo i Ana Member

Can anybody help me to make this boss battle scenario in my game maker game im creating? it is supposed to be a platformer game where you control a warrior who has a sword that battles enemies with his sword,repeately hitting them until they die.At the end of the level there's this boss battle that i want to make but don't know how to make it work.Can anybody give me a code of this or tell me what events to add,how to program this boss battle,and how to make it work? this is how i want it to be.So basically when the player reaches the boss battle area,there's this cutscene that shows the boss rising from the bottom of the ground,and then showing a giant healthbar of the boss and the player has to kill it.The boss is gigantic and only half of it's body is visible trough the ground,where the player is standing.The boss is supposed to move left and right slowly and try to smash the player with it's arms.Should i use sepearate objects and sprites for the arms? how do i make them appear to be part of the bosses body? the boss moves around while smashing it's arms in the ground.For the player to defeat the boss,he has to hit it with his sword.When the boss gets hit by the sword,it covers it's face and stays like that for one second then rises it's right arm up,and fires four energy balls at the player,that the player has to avoid.The boss is unable to be hit at this time,and after that ,the boss continues to move around and try to smash the player as before.The player is unable to hit the boss for 3 seconds and then repeat the same thing over and over again.As the boss gets hit,it becomes more damaged and stronger until the player defeats it and a cutscene plays showing the boss dying.How can i make this scenario possible?

basically the players name will be obj_player and the boss will be obj_boss_1 and the arms will be obj_boss1_arms

2. FrostyCat

FrostyCat Member

You didn't seriously think we're going to give you all of that in one bite, did you?

Step back and split that wall of I-want-this-I-want-thats into small, point-form, realistically workable units. Put them in order of dependency. Then if you're worth your salt, you should easily see what code is involved and where every piece goes.

So much of poor programming is the fault of inadequate mental discipline and poor psychological conditioning.

3. Toque

Toque Member

Watch some tutorials. Get comfortable with the very basics of the platformer.

Very basics of GML.

You will answer half your questions with that.

The problem with a big problem, even if your given the code to do it you will be stuck ten seconds later. It’s constant problem solving. If you don’t understand your stuck. Again and again and again. So you will have to learn baby steps.

Break it down to little pieces.

I’m fairly raw to GM so I’m talking from experience.

4. EvanSki

EvanSki Member